Backing up important data

• Members

I never trust CD's for backing up data....only DVD's.....what's weird is I never have audio CD's go bad.....only data CD's.....it's probably because with audio CD's the data is in much larger pieces.....I have had CD text disappear from my audio CD's before though (but that's probably more like data information and is probably much smaller pieces).....I know that audio CD's songs have size comparable to wave files which are very large....that's why you can usually only get 20-30 songs on an audio CD where you can get hundreds on a CD if they are 128 bitrate MP3's....

I have used DVD's to backup data for years and I have never once had any DVD, that was burned correctly, ever go bad (I know this is true because if any disc doesn't burn right for me, and I have the software verify the burnt disc, I throw it away right then and there).  The main difference I notice between DVD-R and DVD+R is anything burnt to a DVD+R can be copied to both DVD+R and DVD-R with typical burning software like Nero or Sonic.....in order to copy DVD-R to a DVD+R disc, you have to copy the whole disc into a folder on the computer and then burn the contents of the folder to DVD+R.....I never burn "on the fly" either....I always have the software copying my disc put it on the hard drive and then it burns the copy from that....

Originally DVD+R or DVD-R were the two formats that DVD players could read and usually one or the other.....now pretty much all DVD players read both but not all DVD players can read double layer discs yet (the double layer discs you burn at home)....many movies are double layer discs and those seem to play fine on all DVD players.....

• Members

Thing to remember with burnt CD/DVD's is the burn layer is very susceptible to UV (even fluros, which degrades it) . TBH I wouold recommend you buy a decent USB external hard drive and save to that..The cost per MB is actually less the DVD's, plus it is far FAR easier to get the data to it one go, not to mention amending it at a later date to allow for altered files...

Once data is saved remove it and put it in the draw.

That and get a decent "imaging" app (Acronis et al) and when you have a fresh clean updated OS with all your apps and settings all done create a hard drive "image" rather than a "backup". 

Archived