The Tube Boss Metal Zone

MadSkillzMan

• Members

Hey guys, been working at this a past few weeks. The MT-2 sounded OK on my carvin X100b amp, and it was the amp making it sound better. Did a {censored}load of mods to iit, just hated that cold distortion. So yea, in light of Pwn3D's thread located here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1198855&highlight=HM2+Tube

i give you, the tube MT-2:

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

So how does it sound? TUBEY! Its nowhere near the distortion of the MT-2, but who said that was a problem? Its still got the incredible EQ range (which ive extended) and for some reason, there isnt the slightest bit of noise. Its VERY smooth.

I will say im unhappy with my Chasis Job...then again if i do this to another pedal ill know exactly where to start, rather having to test various times.

It does include a socket. Its not bolted, but it sticks through the chasis fine, and the tube doesnt budge. To get it out, you take off the door and simply remove it like any other tube. I think ill try wtih onea my Mesa tubes later.

Clips shall follow soon!

I figured id post it here too since this was my own DIY project

• Members

a big :thu:

clips, we need clips!

:D Im glad others are venturing out and doing this.

BTW, I always wanted to mod a mt2 like that. Less distortion, WIDE range of eq.

(hehe I stumbled upon this thread before checking my pms)

• Members

Long awaited, CLIPS!

Ok, the setup was this: Epigphone SG with stock pickups, MT-2, Carvin X100b. FLAT eq settings, Behringer flat 4x12. Recording mic was a GHS Acoustic soundhole mic. Yes, i know now its not meant for cabs....even though the instructions SAID SO, imo the overall sound is lacking much. All was recording on a tascam DP-01 and dropped into my dual G5.

Excuse my sloppy playing today,

Flat EQ

Holy-Diver-Drop-C

here is slightly tweaked mid EQ:

Tube-MT-2-test-Not of this eartht-Bones Intro

More Bassy EQ:

Edge-Of-Thorns

I have to say iim quite pleased with results. I hated the pedal by itself before, but it was OK with my tube amp. Now, i like it all the way. honestly its a sound you can get out of the boss GL100, but much warmer sounding. Im not happy with the clips sounding though, u can tell its an acoustic mic..that and i didnt explore all the EQ settings.

Now i gotta get clips of it in fuzz mode. YES, the mT-2 can be turned into a kickass vintage fuzz pedal with the flip of a switch.

• Members

Listening past the acoustic mic, I reckon that's a pretty damn sweet pedal in person and on a decent recording setup!

I'm intrigued...does the tube actually give it that tube feel? Seeing as in blind tests, SS and tube preamps are pretty much indistinguishable, I assume its more of the tube feel that adding the 12AX7 gives it?

On a side-note, in an amp head, are the preamp tubes still run at low voltages such as 6V, like in pedals? What are the specs for preamp tubes?

I was thinking the same with SS pedals and amps, do the amps with a larger power supply sound better than the pedals with only a 9V supply, in terms of headroom and clipping of the voltage rails (like with the EMG 18V mod).

• Members

Well, having playing on both SS and Tube distortions, its not a dramatic tube feel. Power tubes will give you alot of the feel many of us are used to.

the 12ax7, it wouldnt be wise to run at 18V. The 12 specifies that 12V is the highest it should go. like the guys before stated, the first number tells you the voltage, IE a 6AL5=6V

Yes, the HEATERS are run at 6.3-12V in our amps, the current running through the other pins is much much higher. i beleive the specs say the plates on these things can withstand up to 300v?

Im going to try to make effort to get some clips on a pro recoording setup this week at practice. Our singer has one of those tascam 32 track studios and all the mics.

In terms of headroom, you know what, i dont know honestly. Id say you have less headroom with this little pedal, but what im loving is the clarity. Comparing this to a stock MT-2, it kicks ASS!

I will say though, compared to a solid state clipping, its not cold. Its no warm fender, but its not cold. I guess its like the fender roc pro in terms of feel.

Im thinking about buying a few MT-2s and doing the mods and selling. This thing is such a frankenstein and so banged up from all the experimenting i wouldnt dare sell it. Im also thinking of grabbing the behringer vintage distortions. Lots of fun iin those things, so much room to play in, so much more safe for the tubes.

I gotta say thanks to Pwn3d and his thread though. it was a damn fun project, with very pleasant results. I'm up for some more tinkering.

I met a machinist awhile back, to help me with another invention i had. I asked, and he said he could crank out any kind of guitar parts, including stomp boxes. I wonder if i could somehow work out a MT-2 rehouse design. It would go a hell of alot quicker if i could simply pull the guts out, mod it, and then just rehouse in an already cut/setup box.

• Members

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

Hey guys, been working at this a past few weeks. The MT-2 sounded OK on my carvin X100b amp, and it was the amp making it sound better. Did a {censored}load of mods to iit, just hated that cold distortion. So yea, in light of Pwn3D's thread located here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1198855&highlight=HM2+Tube

i give you, the tube MT-2:

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

So how does it sound? TUBEY! Its nowhere near the distortion of the MT-2, but who said that was a problem? Its still got the incredible EQ range (which ive extended) and for some reason, there isnt the slightest bit of noise. Its VERY smooth.

I will say im unhappy with my Chasis Job...then again if i do this to another pedal ill know exactly where to start, rather having to test various times.

It does include a socket. Its not bolted, but it sticks through the chasis fine, and the tube doesnt budge. To get it out, you take off the door and simply remove it like any other tube. I think ill try wtih onea my Mesa tubes later.

Clips shall follow soon!

I figured id post it here too since this was my own DIY project

Slammin ! :thu:

Archived