External FX loop.

mjmclane

• Members

I have an old Traynor amp with no reverb or FX loop, but I love the sound. I'd like to run a studio quality FX procesor, but need to find a way to create an FX loop externally as the amp chassis does not have enough room to put one in internally. Is there such an animal available on the market? If not, is there as DIY design that could tap the power supply of the amp and be attached to the bottom or side of the amp case such that it is an integral part of the rig?

• Members

There's probably no simple way to do it.

A couple options:

1) Have somebody experienced in electronics mods look over the circuit to see if there is an internal point which has the signal at line level, then break that point out to a 1/4" TRS jack that shorts T to R when no plug is in. Warning: Doing this without knowing what you are doing can kill you, your amp, and any effects you plug in. Even if it works, it may require transformers or other means to ensure the DC power supply and biasing voltage stay in the amp where they belong...

2) Mic the amp, preamp it up to line level, add FX as desired (won't affect sound from speaker, but can be fed to PA that way.

3) Run your guitar into an instrument preamp or DI with line output level, feed it to your FX, then knock the FX output back down to instrument level with an attenuator before feeding it into your amp.

4) Hunt for FX units that accept, and output, instrument level signals... (They're called stomp boxes....)

All in all, would be simpler, faster & cheaper to buy an amp with an FX loop....

Archived