FS: handmade stave snare drums

dimperdoo

• Members

.....Each of these is basically a 1 of a kind, hand built, stave drum. I selected the wood for figure and function. They were cut, glued, turned, and finished by me. Hardware is all top-notch - better than much of the hardware you will see in the music stores. Each tunes well within a rather large range - holds tune - AND SOUNDS AWESOME.

.....The fact is I would love to keep them all - bear that in mind as I do not need to sell them (but with the holiday coming it is a nice opportunity) AND, I will not accept "lowball" offers. That does not mean I won't consider reasonable offers.

*EDIT* [FEEL FREE to make whatever offer you may think is reasonable - worst I can do is say "no"]

.....I want to disclose that the batter heads on these drums are "new." But, they have had tuning and play (by me) to essentially evaluate the qualities and tuning range and "fit" with the drumset. Therefor, they do have stick marks. IF THIS IS AN ISSUE, add $15 and I will get a new head and install prior to shipping the drum.

*EDIT* [actually, I will just go ahead and send with clean NEW heads (I like evans genera - let me know if you prefer something else)]

.....first: this MONSTER wenge 14"x5.75" with RCK throw. The shell is 7/8" thick like the monster thick shells made popular by that company from Orange County. Wenge is a nice dark tone wood. This is the snare to cut through the mix. It absolutely kills - I put the value at $500 shipped CONUSNow (12/1) shipped for only $400 take an additional $15 for existing batter head!

wengfinthroij3.th.jpgthpix.gif

.....next: this very nice chechen piccolo; it's a 14"x3.75" with a luddy-style mini throw. The grain on this is crazy - though it's not as high contrast as more known woods such as bubinga. It's a very sweet, very versatile piccolo - AND very beautiful. shell is approx 3/8" thick. I would tough out it's loss at $400 shipped CONUSNow (12/1) shipped for only $300 take an additional $15 for existing batter head!

chechsnbotoq3.th.jpg

.....finally: the cocobolo stave piccolo - 14"x4" similar in dimension to the chechen - basically a cocobolo version of it. Now, coco is a more valuable wood in both appearance and tone - but I will let this one go for the same $400 shipped CONUS as the chechen. FULL DISCLOSURE? it's a little rough - it's finished in lacquer -which becomes somewhat milky because of the natural oil exuded by coco. This kills me because this is the sweetest sounding drum - and much more valuable.Now (12/1) shipped for only $300 take an additional $15 for existing batter head!

cocosnthrowlo5.th.jpgthpix.gif

.....The drums will be shipped insured - so, if they become damaged in shipping that won't be an issue. I guarantee them to be tune-able, play-able, and the precise drums represented in the picture. I will happily refund the return minus shipping - and shipped back AT YOUR EXPENSE if you are dissatisfied.

*EDIT* [actually, I will go ahead and refund the paypal amount (or m.o.) if you are dissatisfied - it will be up to you to ship it back though]

Essentially what I'm saying is that they are hand-crafted - one of a kind - drums and may have VERY SLIGHT cosmetic issues (that reasonable people might not notice - nor mind when they did)

• Members

I decided to go through and sweeten the deal a little. These are premium drums and the transaction should be marked by some more premium conditions (the original post is unchanged) But, this does make the deal more attractive - I know you're on the fence anyway...

OH! here's a soundfile of the wenge snare

FWIW, the snares are tuned up and sounding good w/ the heads on them now (which are pretty new) maybe you'd like a price break and settle for the "used" head?

• Members

So, here's some "market research" I found these 3 ads to be fairly typical on E-bay. And, I find that my prices are fairly typical (if not a bargain)

oak stave from "davilleDW"

Bubinga stave from "MOE"

Brady Jarrah stave

of the 3, the 1st 2 companies are not well known. Brady is well known - and somewhat controversial? of course, memphis drum co wants $1080 for the brady.

I like how the memphis ad fleshes out the "block" stave concept - to my ears, staves really are superior to ply shells. He talks like it's the "big secret" behind many studio recordings and amazing live sound - and, it makes sense to me.

• Members

Here are some more pics of the chechen snare. This is a real sweet, very responsive snare. It has great versatility as a piccolo. And, no issues - an excellent example of stave drums. The grain is beautiful - I wish I could capture THAT more effectively. But, the real issue is the sound (who's gonna see your snare?) And, it sounds badass. Staves rule!

It's "black friday," why not have a sale?

Pick any snare for $50 off w/ a new head. Used head fine? save that $15 too.

jagsnarezq2.th.jpg

seemed like a cool photo w/ my jag in the background

skysnarebt3.th.jpg

or, the sky

snowsnareuh9.th.jpg

anyway - with a fresh dusting of snow, it seemed like a great chance to take some pics today...

• Members

They look like nice drums. If you aren't getting interest it's probably just that people want a brand name. Even if you made up a name and put it on the drum somehow it would probably help. Don't know if it will get you the $$ level that other companies are getting, but it would get some interest. Also, just because drums are advertised on ebay for that amount doesn't mean people are buying them for that. But I wish you good luck!

• Members

They look like nice drums. If you aren't getting interest it's probably just that people want a brand name. Even if you made up a name and put it on the drum somehow it would probably help. Don't know if it will get you the $$ level that other companies are getting, but it would get some interest. Also, just because drums are advertised on ebay for that amount doesn't mean people are buying them for that. But I wish you good luck!

thx - I have considered "branding" these drums. The reality is that I've made this handful of drums. I have too many - and will be making more (as much out of my own curiosity with different woods as anything) And, the wife would like to see some of them sell. As much because she sees the value and wants other people to know about it - as she wants to reduce "things." (clutter)

I presented the E-bay listings as "for instance" material which shows my pricing to be reasonable.

I'd still be fine with keeping them.

But, the holidays are coming - so, I'm going to gift price these.

Meaning, taking another $50 off - and the adjusted pricing will be represented in the OP.

Archived