rock / jazz ?

wnz789

• Members

I am attempting to become a rock drummer. Problem: my teacher makes all his students learn jazz, which I really don't like. Will learning jazz make me a better rock drummer? Or will it be a waste of time?

Any opinions?

• Members

Originally posted by wnz789

I am attempting to become a rock drummer. Problem: my teacher makes all his students learn jazz, which I really don't like. Will learning jazz make me a better rock drummer? Or will it be a waste of time?

Any opinions?

Find som Tony Williams CD's and then you'll have your answer!

Anything that you learn in "Jazz" can be applied to rock.

Tim

• Members

It's a funny thing. Lots of good drum teachers teach with a jazz influence. I learned that way too. You can translate lots of that into the rock style. It's not a waste of time however the feel and technique are different.

Insist that you spend some time on "rock" stuff too. After all, music is about enjoyment and you should play the type of music you're into.

If you want to play rock or metal, playing it with a jazz feel and chops just won't cut it.

• Members

Jazz/Rock is better known as fusion. Listen to Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, Tony Williams, Jean Luc Ponty, Dixie Dregs, Stanley Clarke, Al DiMeola, Jan Hammer....to get an idea of how one can combine the feel of jazz with the power of rock.

• Members

Learning jazz is probably one of the best things that i've ever done drum wise. Everything that i've done jazz wise carry's over to rock. Its increases overall coordination, teaches how to listening to what else is being played by others, etc etc. It really changed the way that i approach a lot of my drumming. Another plus: the ladies love a man that can play trade fours...

• Members

Sure being forced Jazz is good. I wouldn't know, but if you wanna be a good rock drummer, I'd certainly think that Jazz would make you a better drummer. Look at Joey Jordison from Slipknot, and Dave Lombardo from Slayer, both are metal drummers with Jazz influences, especially Joey Jordison, and he's REALLY good :D

the hell with the playing hard crap... you can still play softly in a rock band, you just need mics, that's all

• Members

Yes jazz chops are useful in rock especially if you want to stand out from a million other bands and musicians. Ever heard of Mitch Mitchell?!? He started out as a jazz drummer and wound up in the Jimi Hendrix Experience!!! Manic Depression, Third stone from the sun, Stone free, Castles made of sand...... None of these songs would have been as good or original as they were if Mitch was just another straight up rock drummer. And I'm not kncking regular rock drummers either, I like Matt Sorums drumming with The Cult (especially the newest album, Erik kretz, etc,etc.... If you really love drums (not biblically, I think thats against the law in most states, except Alabama anyway.) then learning something new should be a pleasure, that doesn't mean it won't be difficult but still your learning something new about your chosen instrument, and how often do we get to choose to learn something about the things we love to do?!? I mean theres not much fun in learning a better way to flip burgers & sling fries is there? Expand your knowledge, play better and have fun. Sounds good to me!:cool:

• Members

I am now 44 and in my teens I took lessons from some guy who was a jazz head. At the time I wasn't into his thing, but now Jazz is about all I listen to. Most of the jazz drummers I've heard have so much chops, technique, skill, and ability to drive and float with the tune at the same time it amazes me. Learn some technique from the jazz guy because regardless of what you play that will get you the farthest at this point in your playing. I know you may want to burn now, but take the time to compare drummers like the dude in Creed vs. Buddy Rich. There's no comparison. Buddy would chew that guy up and spit him out. Not trying to hose off Creed, but if you want to emulate someone that's good choose someone whose playing has withstood the test of time. Someone mentioned Tony Williams. Also Elvin Jones, Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orch - Birds of Fire), Philly Jo Jones, Dave Garibaldi, etc...... So many great players so little time. My main advice, and yes I will shut up, is whatever you're into enjoy it!

• Members

Originally posted by WorshipMetallica

Sure being forced Jazz is good. I wouldn't know, but if you wanna be a good rock drummer, I'd certainly think that Jazz would make you a better drummer. Look at Joey Jordison from Slipknot, and Dave Lombardo from Slayer, both are metal drummers with Jazz influences, especially Joey Jordison, and he's REALLY good
:D

the hell with the playing hard crap... you can still play softly in a rock band, you just need mics, that's all

Dave Lombardo is the best/coolest (no doubt he is) thrashmetal drummer around, Yoey is the best numetal (or whatever u call slipknot) drummer I have seen. So ur right :)

BTW when listening to Mike Patton with Lombardo, u can hear some jazz drumming too sometimes. I will have drum lessons too next moth, now I only play rock/metal. So learning some other stuff might be very useful if I read this topic :)

Btw. look how tall Joey is! http://www.murderdolls.us/murderdolls2.jpg

And oh, he plays guitar too :)http://www.murderdolls.us/bio.html

Archived