High hats: What to Buy

rheemb

• Members

Can you guys help me with finding the best rock sound out of high hat. What do you guys think of the Zildian Custom A Mastersound hats? Is there others that sound better? Anyone have tips on how to get better with my left hand, faster with both hands and feet etc. I have no musical training at all.

Thanks for your time,

ckbudden@yahoo.com

• Members

Originally posted by rheemb

Can you guys help me with finding the best rock sound out of high hat. What do you guys think of the Zildian Custom A Mastersound hats? Is there others that sound better? Anyone have tips on how to get better with my left hand, faster with both hands and feet etc. I have no musical training at all.

Thanks for your time,

As for high hats, buy the highest ones you can find. That's what makes them great-- they're high.

Seriously though, if you have absolutely no musical training I would -strongly- suggest lessons. Other than that, the key to doing all things fluidly is to start slowly with the most basic motions, absurdly, I can do this its so slow, and then gradually speed up. That is the only way. But the best way to figure out what you should be practicing slowly is to find competant instruction.

• Members

Zildjian Avedis mastersounds make great rock hats, very versatile, as do Paiste 2002 heavy hats. I recommend both, in any size you wish. As for the hand thing, nothing beats getting rudiments solid to get the left hand, (or if you are a righty, vice versa) solid. I find, that doing 5, 7, and 9 stroke rolls with paradiddles in between every couple measures on the high hat, really help my high hat technique, to help with precise, funky, high hat phrases. Anything that is comfortable at a slow pace, can make doing it faster easier, also, play what your head wants to hear, and the feet and hands will follow.:thu:

• Members

Why not listen to the Fat Hats at Cymbalsonly and buy them at Cymbalsonly? They are $297 at Cymbalsonly, and $329 at Steve Weiss. And Tony at Cymbalsonly provides excellent service from the moment he answers the telephone, to the day the package arrives at your door. He's a class act. And the dude can play! That's him on those recordings.

• Members

Cymbals Only was very helpful, I got a 20" Sabian Raw Ride from them, I love it, they were very helpful, and responded to my email very quickly. Good company, good sit, I wish they had more of some brands, but they definitly have one of the better Bosphorus collections Ive ever seen. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by sherman22

Cymbals Only was very helpful, I got a 20" Sabian Raw Ride from them, I love it, they were very helpful, and responded to my email very quickly. Good company, good sit, I wish they had more of some brands, but they definitly have one of the better Bosphorus collections Ive ever seen.
:thu:

All you have to do is ask and he'll get it for you. He's pretty accommodating.

• Members

...What do you guys think of the Zildian Custom A Mastersound hats? ....

I have a 13" pair, and they work fine with just about any genre I'm playing. They have a very distinct "chick" sound, and cut through the mix very well.

my two cents.

Of course, if they came with a bottle of Grey Poupon, I'd be even happier!

:D

• Members

Thanks for your time,

I've got the 15" Mastersounds, haven't played them with my kit yet but they sound great otherwise.

• Members

Originally posted by the DW

I have a 13" pair, and they work fine with just about any genre I'm playing. They have a very distinct "chick" sound, and cut through the mix very well.

I like 13" hats. As long as they are a tad heavier than your standard jazz weight 13" hats, they do just fine.

Archived