Yamaha Oak Custom Snare? Any thoughts?

Craise

• Members

Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this yamaha Oak Custom Snare? I can pick it up for $150..which I think is a good deal?

I can't find much info on this exact model. I own a yamaha Stage custom set and have been playing a 4 x 10 wood stage custom snare that does sound pretty good..but I'm looking to get into more snare work so I thought I would step up to a 5 x 14. How are these Oak customs? I'm looking for a classic rock Mitch Mitchell type snare tone. What do you think this snare is worth? If I pick it up for $150 I should be able to flip it if I'm not happy with it..no?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and info!

:thu:

3n73p53l3ZZZZZZZZZ92e789572910626134a.jp

3m33pf3odZZZZZZZZZ92e74cde71690d916d3.jp

• Members

$150 is chump change, those sets aren't cheap. I have no doubt that you can get that sounding classic rock sound out of it, perfect down the middle size. If you're seriously only using a 4x10 hurry and grab this, you'll be thanking yourself everytime you play. Swing the little guy out for a side snare.

• Members

Probably a cool drum. I agree though, it will be loud. The old ones used to have a weird internal snare system, does this one have that?

$150 sounds like a good deal and you can surely sell it if you're not happy.

Yes, this one has some kind of upper snare wires? what's up with that?

Thanks everyone for their thoughts!

:thu:

• Members

Picked up the snare yesterday! Here's a photo

Yamahaoakcustomsnare2.JPG

Ok...so I think I need some schooling on snare heads.

First off, I don't know why I typed I had a 10" snare earlier..it's a 12" Yamaha Stage Custom with a Evans Gerena Dry on it.

Right so...When I met up with the seller and played the drum, he had a 14" ring on the top of the snare. Keep in mind I'm a guitarist!!! I never really knew exactly what they were for. I knew they were for damping..but I didn't understand that they take away the "ringing" undertones?? Is this the right name for that ringing unpleasing snare sound? So it sounded great with the ring...took the ring off and ugh! Figured It was worth the low price. So I bought it and brought it home.

So then looking at my other 12" I turned it upside down and noticed that the drum head on it had a little ring built into the snare head (the logo is faded so I couldn't really see the name of the head other than evans) Checked out the evans site...so these "Genera" dry heads have the rings built in? Is that right? My question..do all drums need this type of head? Are there drums that don't ring so much..to where you don't need that type of head?

Need some schooling on heads! I think! ;-)

Any thoughts or advice? thanks in advance!

;)

• Members

A lot of snare heads have some type of controlled edge ring built in. Tons of combinations, snares, heads ,and tunings to boggle your mind. Lot of people here use 20 strand snares, puresound are the most popular,a clear or hazy reso head, Evans Hazy 300 is a popular choice, and the batter head is wide open according to the sound your going after. Welcome to the dark side of snare drums!I hear nothing but good things about Yamaha Oaks.

Archived