Polyurethane polishing/buffing

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyurethane polishing/buffing

Polyurethane polishing/buffing

What can be done to highly polish a polyurethane finish? Can it be treated like laquer?

I intended to work down to 1500 grit or so and then polish with a pad and compound.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

yep, just like lacquer.
    "Makin' music means I'm makin' friends."

Comment

Depends on which kind of poly you're talking about, but yes they can easily be buffed out. Most don't get as hard as nitro, though.

Most guys use a buffing arbor and Menzerna compounds.
      HCGB #128

Comment

wet sanding down to 1200 ( or even 2500 to make buffing quicker), then buffing with Meguiars #3, #7 usually does the trick. Get all the hardware & eletronics out of the way. Clean off the sanding grit & compound residue before you re assemble.
        I don't feel tardy!

Comment

Can you get nitro in a rattle can?
          Got any of dem french fried purtaters?

Comment

Yes. Lowes sells lacquer in a can for about $3 a can, or they did a couple of years ago. www.reranch.com is the place to get nitrocellulose in cans. Maybe www.stewmac.com has it too.
            "Makin' music means I'm makin' friends."

Comment

Originally posted by BowerR64

You can spray it with a Preval can.
              HCGB #128

Comment

yup
                spam:
                GFS Classic Alnico Tele neck pickup - $15
                GFC Classic Alnico 62 Tele bridge pickup - $15
                Trade offers welcome

Comment

Holy hijacked thread, Batman!

Comment

Poly finishes can have very long cure times, especially water based products in a high humidity environment. Be sure to wait long enough before final polishing otherwise yo may be wasting your time.
                    Sale Pending

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasD
                      Poly finishes can have very long cure times, especially water based products in a high humidity environment. Be sure to wait long enough before final polishing otherwise yo may be wasting your time.

This is good advice. I'm not using a water based product, but it still seems to be a bit gummy 10 hours after coating. I'm waiting extra long plus baking the coats in the sun for a while. Also heating the poly makes it flow better, but I'm not sure if it will de stabilize it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by koco
                        Holy hijacked thread, Batman!

sorry dude
                        Got any of dem french fried purtaters?

Comment

sorry dude

Not a big deal, I just really wanted to use a Batman reference.

Comment

Originally posted by koco

This is good advice. I'm not using a water based product, but it still seems to be a bit gummy 10 hours after coating. I'm waiting extra long plus baking the coats in the sun for a while. Also heating the poly makes it flow better, but I'm not sure if it will de stabilize it too much.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, you should proabably let the finish cure for a good two weeks before final polish, a month might even be better.

Finishes cure incrementally - the majority of the process occurs rather rapidly and the finish may be 'wearable' in a matter of hours or days but in order to get a high gloss from polishing you want that finish to be almost entirely, or entirely, hardened and that takes time.

It is unlikely that sun/UV exposure will speed the process significantly - unless recommended by the finish manufacturer I'd suggest avoiding it, conceivably it could interfere with the catalysis/polymerization and actually make the final finish softer.
                            Sale Pending

Comment

Working...
                            X