l500xl vs. dimarzio super distortion

bacosta0009

• Members

You'd be suprised that the Dimarzio super distortion isn't at all like the L-500XL. It is the same pickup used on countless seventies and eighties recordings and at this point is kind of a vintagey sound. I perfer the Dimarzio with a PAF pro in the neck for Les Paul's, but that's my preference. Anyhow, it's a kind of misleading name these days.

• Members

It's probably not as tight as the L-500XL, but I haven't heard one in a while. The super distortion is a really nice pup. It's hard to describe against a Bill Lawrence. Is it the Bill Lawrence USA or the old guy. I had some L-500XL's about three months ago, but never installed them. They were the Bill Lawrence USA versions though.

• Members

is it as high output as the 500xl, ace has been using them since he bought them from larry dimarzio. just wondering in comparison the output difference between the two. seems like over the last 15 years when i go to get one i always end up with something else. i used to use a paf pro in the bridge, good pickup.

• Members

Originally posted by solomon1979

It's probably not as tight as the L-500XL, but I haven't heard one in a while. The super distortion is a really nice pup. It's hard to describe against a Bill Lawrence. Is it the Bill Lawrence USA or the old guy. I had some L-500XL's about three months ago, but never installed them. They were the Bill Lawrence USA versions though.

where did you get yours, i sold 2 of those a while back, got one from the old man, didn't like it and got another "usa" model. the one i currently use is the "usa" one, i like it the best, i also had a dimebucker. the only thing about this pickup is sometimes the brightness on the g,b,e strings can be a little much.

• Members

Originally posted by solomon1979

I got mine from Aamps in Ca. via mail-order( the USA's). You can get a headache reading the Bill Lawrence BS. It made me leary of using them and now I feel like an idiot, b/c I sold them and the people I sold them to, love the pups.

yeah, they are good pickups, what bayou do you live around? :D

Archived