No announcement yet.

Fender for blues: ash or alder ?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender for blues: ash or alder ?

How ash sounds compared to alder ? I want a guitar for blues and I was thinking about these guitars:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_lite_ash_stratocaster_mn_nt.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mex_std_strat_mn_cr_upgrade.htm
    and
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_highway_one_strat_mn_db.htm

The last one actually excedes my budget, but anyway, what do you think ?

for blues, i would go with the mex.

for the woods.. warmoth explains it pretty well.
    *insert amusing sig here*

Comment

In my opinion, your pickups are going to matter way more than ash/alder debate. I think you should consider some of the tex-mex loaded Fender strats that would be the same price range. Ash is brighter than Alder - either work for the blues. I prefer alder with a rosewood board.
      "You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other." ~ Stevie Ray Vaughan

Comment

Well, the Ash will likely have slightly more sustain and treble, while the Alder will have slightly less sustain and treble. Me, I would go for the Ash to get that tiny extra little bit of sustain, and then turn down the treble on the EQ somewhere.

Comment

I prefer alder with a rosewood board.

I think that is my favorite tone combo for blues, along with classic alnico 2 pups, though I certainly wouldn't turn down ash/maple combos either.
          GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
          It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
          to connect with other pompous blowhards
          in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

Since there is no one single definitive blues tone (let alone an absolute defining Strat-blues tone), there is no one guitar, or one single guitar specification, that produces it. Get a Strat you like (or a Tele, 335, LesP etc) and play blues on it.
            http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

^^^+1

Comment

Thanks, guys ! What do you think about the pick-ups in these guitars, Single-Coil Strat

Comment

I actually like the new MIM strats. That is, '06 or >. Medium jumbo frets, good 9.5" neck and the stock pups are very, very good.

Maybe they have changed the frets on the Korean lite ash since I've tried one a few years ago, but I don't remember them being medium jumbo. IIRC, they were a thinner vintage style.
                  GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
                  It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
                  to connect with other pompous blowhards
                  in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

Blues is in the soul. Translated thru the hands to the guitar. Ash/Alder? Whichever!! In the long run it's not the wood.
                    Tulk
                    --------------------------
                    Mesa Lone Star
                    Vox AC30CC1
                    '74 (or '75) LP Custom
                    '07 PRS McCarty Rosewood
                    '07 Eric Johnson Strat - BG Custom Wound Pups
                    '07 Heritage H535 Semi-Hollow
                    '07 G&L ASAT Tribute Tele - make offer
                    '06 Fender 60th Anniv Tele
                    '06 Stambaugh Custom Bass
                    '05 Heritage H-157
                    '03 Stambaugh Custom Tele
                    '04 Taylor 415CE L7
                    '95 PRS CE24 w/Birds
                    '06 S101 Light Crust Doughboy - BG Custom Wound Pups

Comment

Play a couple see what you like. I play both. And don't find either to be any issue with Blues music. The SD's are the better pick-ups of those mentioned. The Ash Lite is M-J fret wire. But I remember my Tele, and thinking that while it is M-J. Its not the same M-J wire used on MIA and MIM Tele/Strats. It does seem a bit thinner.
                      Damn Right I got the BLUE'S

Ordinary . CAN BE . EXTRAORDINARY.. follow your DREAM!

Comment

Bump for this: is there any difference between Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo and 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo ? Which one is more stable ?

Comment

It does not matter a bit. You can play the blues on anything...

Comment

How ash sounds compared to alder ? I want a guitar for blues and I was thinking about these guitars:
                            http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_lite_ash_stratocaster_mn_nt.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mex_std_strat_mn_cr_upgrade.htm
                            and
                            http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_highway_one_strat_mn_db.htm

The last one actually excedes my budget, but anyway, what do you think ?

Almost any guitar can be imbued with a blues voice...in the fingers (and the soul).
                            "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Almost any guitar can be imbued with a blues voice...in the fingers (and the soul).

Can't argue with that.

The three guitars listed are nice...but if it were me....I would most likely go with a JV strat. The Jimmie Vaughan strat is a pretty cool Blues machine in it's stock form. I would prol' get a red one.

Comment

Working...
                              X