Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dulling a Poly Finish - GOLDTOP Project Inside

Alright, I was inspired by the thread over at MyLesPaul Forum on dulling finishes. I used a ScotchBrite pad and did this all by hand. Removed all the hardware and electronics and did many small swirls until scratches were no longer visible. Replaced the tuners w/ Grovers to match the other hardware. Pickups are a Gibson '57 Classic in the neck and a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge.

BTW - this is an early 90's Hamer, MIK in the Cort factory. Enjoy!

Before

Flamey Neck - Before

Backside - Before

AFTER PHOTOS
    (Flash is on for all of these photos)

W/ Hardware & Pickups

Frontal

Backside

Neck

Good Deals w: MMcquain, brokenarrow5, freaksho, dandy13, murff, 1uncertain3, Jigowatt, WillPlayforFood, silverring233, tfancil, ATauO, thesense, adamsa, tlhamon

SPAM

Looks good. Hardware could do with some dulling to match, but isn't essential. How much work was it?

Comment

Definitely prefer the after shots.
      Originally Posted by Norton666 (15/07/2009)

Give it 6 months and the Axe-Fx will be mentioned in the same sentence as the Johnson Millenium stuff.

Comment

I like that. I have been wanting to do this to my strat, but I am a little afraid. I have read that you can use scotchbrite pads to do this to chrome hardware as well. Are you going to do this as well?
        Guitars: 60th Anniversity Commemorative American Strat 2006, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe, Washburn D25S Acoustic 1988 (MIJ)Effects: 535Q->TS7->DS-1-> GE7 EQ->MXR Carbon Copy->Phase 90->CE-3 -> -> Tiny Terror -> Vox Night Train Cab 1x12 with Greenback Also: Guitar Port, DOD Supra Distortion, EH Muff Fuzz, Vox DA5Good Dealings with rrancani, dcindc, CraigOrn, 98 les paul, kjutrain

Comment

Thanks guys! It only took a couple hours total. Taking off all the hardware and electronics and then reassembling probably took just as long as the actual dulling process. I think for darker finishes the Orbital Sander method would be essential so as to not see any swirls, but I am really surprised how easy this was.

I think I will dull down the hardware on my next string change - thanks for the suggestion!
          Good Deals w: MMcquain, brokenarrow5, freaksho, dandy13, murff, 1uncertain3, Jigowatt, WillPlayforFood, silverring233, tfancil, ATauO, thesense, adamsa, tlhamon

SPAM

Comment

Working...
          X