No announcement yet.

Heavy strings without setup?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy strings without setup?

All of my guitars are set up for 10 gauge strings.  I would like to experiment with 11's or 12's but I don't want to recut the nut or bridge slots until I'm sure I like the heavies.  Can I do this or do I absolutely need to  do a setup before even trying them out?

If it's a TOM bridge or similar, then it's ok to try them first without cutting the nut. If it's a whammy, you may need to add an extra spring in the cavity (or two, depending on what you like). You will probably need to adjust the intonation, and possibly the neck relief.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• mschafft
      mschafft commented
      Editing a comment

You'll be fine for a test drive.

If you like it, you'll want to tighten the truss rod a tad if at all, adjust intonation and enlarge nut/bridge slots for decent tuning stability after bends.

Working...
X