Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

John McLaughlin's gear (NEVER thought I'd be posting something like this...)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McLaughlin's gear (NEVER thought I'd be posting something like this...)

Okay, in the Wilco thread, McLaughlin's work on Miles Davis' Jack Johnson and Bitches Brew has come up.

I've dug around and found that he used a Mustang while working with Miles. Just wondering if anyone knows what amps, effects, etc. he was using during these sessions/this time period. Thanks in advance for any help.

Well I can't add much, but Mustang (strung with heavy flatwounds, sounds right) into a Fender tube amp (probably Deluxe Reverb). The Dunlop Crybaby Classic sounds right for the wah. Fuzz: No real idea. Probably an Echoplex in there too, both for delay and pre-amp capabilities.

I'd be even more curious to know what effects setup Pete Cosey was using with Miles. There's some crazy sounds on the live albums. I know he had a Telecaster going into primitive guitar synth (Sythi Hi-Fli) but that's all I know.

DJ
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote">
    <div class="quote_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<i>Originally posted by opiepac </i><br />
    <b>I just live with the twitch, personally. </b>

</div>
    </div>
    </div> </div>

Comment

here are the guitars mclaughlin used in that time with some comments from him. dont know about what amp etc

Here

Comment

ok... maybe for the ones who wanna guess. this is a picture from mclaughlin with miles. ofcourse it could be a total different amp as in the studio.

i also read 'somewere' that he was not using a mustang but a modified musicmaster. dont know. maybe the picture can set some light on that also.

Comment

When I started playing in 72' John and Steve Howe were my guitar teachers only thru their albums though....I learned John's "Birds of Fire" and the "Yes~Fragile" album.......those cats cook heat up the ol' fretboard.........

Comment

My eagle-eyed little brother and ex-member of this beloved forum, BGB22, verified that the guitar in the pic is indeed a Musicmaster. I'd forgotten about those. A buddy of mine in college, who joined me in an infamous performance as backing band for Jerry Springer, had a 60's one of them.

The amp, both of us think, is most likely a Sunn or even a Hi-Watt. Who knows?

The problem with this little bit of detection is that it started BOTH of us gassing....him for a Jaguar and me for a Mustang.

Either way, if you've not heard "Duran (Take 4)" from the Jack Johnson Sessions boxed set, then you've not heard ****************y funky! Funk-a-licious! Tasty horn! Tasty, mouthy wah & fuzz! And drums up the ass! If you really need to hear it, PM me with your email.

Comment

So what's the weird little guitar John McLaughlin is playing on the Crossroads DVD?
              <div class="signaturecontainer">panta rhei</div>

Comment

I interviewed Richard Mintz, who designed and built a lot of the early Maestro effects, and he told me about working with the Mahavishu Orchestra. He said John McLaughlin, Jan Hammer, and Jerry Goodman were all using various Maestro pedals. You can definitely hear a lot of phaser and wah on Goodman's violin solos. So considering the date ('71-'73), these guys were definitely using the Maestro PS-1. MXR and Mu-Tron weren't on the scene yet. You can hear McLaughlin using the PS-1 a lot on Visions of the Emerald Beyond .
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.formusiciansonly.com" target="_blank">http://www.formusiciansonly.com</a><br />
                <br />
                <font size="1"><b><font color="orange">A MUST for all FX lovers:</font></b></font><b><br />
                <a href="http://www.formusiciansonly.com/analog.html" target="_blank"><font size="3">Analog Man's Guide To Vintage Effects</font></a></b><br />
                <br />
                <font color="crimson">Come visit The <a href="http://www.fmogearshop.com" target="_blank"><font size="3"><b>Gear Shop</b></font></a><font size="1"> (Bring Gas-X)</font><br />
                <font size="1">I now have every kind of tube imaginable from Electro-Harmonix, Svetlana, Sovtek, and reissue Tung Sol and Mullards, all brand new.</font><br />
                <br />
                Here's my <a href="http://stores.ebay.com/For-Musicians-Only_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm" target="_blank"><b>eBay Store.</b></a> Selling something? Check out my <a href="http://www.formusiciansonly.com/wanted.html" target="_blank"><font size="3"><b>Want List</b></font></a></font><br />
                <font size="1"><div class="bbcode_container">
                <div class="bbcode_quote">
                <div class="quote_container">
                <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<i>Originally posted by MjCartney from The Gear Page </i><br />
                <b>Non-Digital Tom just said your situation is normal. He's kind of like the Oprah of the pedal world, if he says there's nothing wrong, then there's nothing wrong. He wrote a book, and he knows what he's talking about.</b>

</div>
                </div>
                </div> </font><br />
                <font color="limegreen">My PM box is perpetually full. Please e-mail me here: <a href="mailto:info@formusiciansonly.com">My email</a></font></div>

Comment

John Mclaughlin is noisy. So is Bitches Brew.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">If I ever get to the point where I can't even turn my own tuning knobs, someboy please shoot my roadie. - Jeremy Skrenes<br />
                  </div>

Comment

Originally posted by billygrahamcracker

Either way, if you've not heard "Duran (Take 4)" from the Jack Johnson Sessions boxed set, then you've not heard ****************y funky! Funk-a-licious! Tasty horn! Tasty, mouthy wah & fuzz! And drums up the ass! If you really need to hear it, PM me with your email.

yes... great track. nice to hear the differences with take 6 of the same song.

Comment

Originally posted by BmoreTele
                      So what's the weird little guitar John McLaughlin is playing on the Crossroads DVD?

I'm quite sure that's a Godin LG XT. This has been McLaughlin's guitar of choice for the last year. He's been using it with the latest incarnation of Shakti.

- glasskangaroo

Comment

Just a sidenote, I had the privilege of building Billy Cobham's drum kit when I worked for the drum company Fibes around 1972. Here's a backstage (mirror) pic of John McLaughlin, I'm the one blowing smoke out of my mouth, and there's Cobham behind me. This shot was taken after the performance and McLaughlin is seen there jamming with Jan Hammer (not in pic). I guess they didn't care to take a break! Both were plugged into a Fender Champ or Princeton. Hammer had one of those guitar-slinging type keyboards.

Comment

Mike, thanks for a glimpse back into the great early seventies!
                          Your hair cut was absolutely the right one for the times(compared to Mr. Shakti).
                          I used to listen to Spectrum that was released the year after, I think. Did Cobham use the Fibes drums on that recording?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McLenison
                            Just a sidenote, I had the privilege of building Billy Cobham's drum kit when I worked for the drum company Fibes around 1972. Here's a backstage (mirror) pic of John McLaughlin, I'm the one blowing smoke out of my mouth, and there's Cobham behind me. This shot was taken after the performance and McLaughlin is seen there jamming with Jan Hammer (not in pic). I guess they didn't care to take a break! Both were plugged into a Fender Champ or Princeton. Hammer had one of those guitar-slinging type keyboards.

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Little bit o' history, huh?

Comment

Your welcome guys. I'm not sure if Cobham used Fibes drums during the Spectrum album. I would guess he did as the time frame was close. He used a "smoke" finish at that concert, which was greenish-clear. Frank Zappa and Leo Kotke were also on the bill that night.

Comment

Working...
                              X