NAD: Framus Cobra......help!

Bentaycanada

• Members

My new Framus Cobra arrived today, and I need some advice on setting it up.

I'm playing it through a 212 cab with P50E's.I'm using a range of OD pedals with it; Maxon OD9, BBE Green Screamer, Digitech Bad Monkey and MXR ZW44. (The BBE is currently best).

I've been reading on several forums, the following setup.

The channel volume is now set to 3 o'clock and the Master at 7 o'clock. It has helped thicken it up some. I also turned the Effects Mix knob to 5 o'clock, even though there aren't any effects running. This has also helped get rid of some of the shrill fizz.

I have to say this amp sits exactly between that modern, bass heavy, mids loving 5150, Engl, Bogner Uberschall high gain tone and the super dry, articulate Fryette Pitbull tone. It's right there in the middle.

It's hands down the hardest amp to dial in. Though I'm not having that weird experience I had with the Sig X, where the tone appeared to change every time I sat down with it.

I've dialed back the output level on ny OD's to 9 o'clock, which has helped the taming on the tone and output.

On that note, taming this amp is very hard. Like i said above it's very articulate and dry like a Pitbull, with more saturation that has insane low end. I wish i could get hold of a Dragon head to A/B them.

I've just come from playing a Marshall JVM and Randall MTS Kirk Hammett signature amp.

Also the previous owner said he hasn't changed the tubes in 4 years, with regular use. So these things will hopefully change the situation a bit.

Archived