baffled by the tonestack

blindopher

• Members

Hi, before I go any further: yes I've got the Duncan tool, I've read all the gurus: Aiken, Valve Wizard etc. etc.

I have some specific questions concerning the classical fender tonestack. I have no trouble understanding the treble control with it's high pass filter, but I just don't get the other ones because they seem to have the cap in series with the load, whereas a low pass filter is defined as one having the cap in parallel with the load, so it can block the low frequencies form going to ground, forcing them to the pot, while having the high frequencies shunt to ground via the cap.

What am i missing here? It's the routing of the signal that's confusing me with the bass and mid controls.

The way it appears in the schematic is that a low pass filter for the bass and mid is created by merely placing a cap in series with a resistor in series with the load. Maybe that's true, but it goes against all low pass filter defintions i''ve read.

Or are the filters for the bass and mid controls not really low pass filters...?

thanx!

Archived