No announcement yet.

Bad Cat amps - worth the price?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Cat amps - worth the price?

I'm pricing out what will be my next amp. Bad Cat stuff keeps catching my eye as a really nice option. I had a chance to play a Trem Cat combo once and it was quite nice, but I balked at the price tag. Are they worth it? Are there similar amps out there that will get you the same tones for less?

Worth every dime! I still love the Hot Cat 100 head!

Gary
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
    Suicide by Overdrive

I play high gain, head banging , Wookie music.

I am not in a band. I am in a cultski.
    I have no gear.

Jesus IS LORD

Comment

If you want the Bad Cat sound, there's not much that can come close imho.
      Absolutes are only relative

Timeless Quotes:

Ancient Mariner - Dealing with a girl who's surname isn't Jpeg brings a bit more urgency and enthusiasm than usual.

k-train - dude, almost 72000 post WTF

Comment

They're not really priced that bad if you consider your other options to get similar tones. I personally couldn't shell out that much for one, but it's more a matter of my cheapish nature versus not liking the amp. I'll start liking them alot more after my next promotion at work
        Brevity is the soul of wit

Comment

I dunno guys, $2,500+ for a combo amp is quite a hefty pricetag to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Argali
            I dunno guys, $2,500+ for a combo amp is quite a hefty pricetag to me.

Yeah same here. I'm with you in that it's not worth it to me personally. I mean, I don't play or get paid like Keith Urban, so I probably have no business with a Bad Cat.

But there's really no substitute based on my experience with those amps (similar to Matchless.) I did have one of those new Crate V-series for a couple days. It's been called the "poor man's Bad Cat" by a number of folks. It's no bad cat, but the clean and driven tones on channel 1 are simply superb. I had the opp to AB it to a Cat. Different animals, but I will honestly say the Crate held it's own in the clean/slightly overdriven area. Different, but every bit as musical sounding. I didn't like how hot the damn thing got, so I took it back. Try one out if $$$ is a concern.
            Brevity is the soul of wit

Comment

the Crate held it's own in the clean/slightly overdriven area. Different, but every bit as musical sounding. I didn't like how hot the damn thing got, so I took it back.

That's something that really rips my ass about St. Louis Musical Instrument Co.

I had a VC50 with three tens back in the 90s and that thing RAWKED! It was simply gorgeous toneage ... clean or dirty. Fender sparkle and Marshall clank, sorta' like a poorman's VHT Pitbull ... the total package. Why do I no longer own it, you may ask? Because mine was in the shop multiple times in the first month, as was EVERY SINGLE FRIEND'S VC COMBO WHO BOUGHT ONE! Now I'm already reading/hearing stories about reliability issues with the new VC series 50 and 30 watt combos, and I heard on here last year that the problems may be heat-related, iirc.

Crate builds awesome-sounding tube amps with probably a 75% failure rate within six months, yet their **************************** solid state stuff is built like Peavey's amps ... can't ****************ing kill 'em if you tried. Whazzup wid dat? Who the flying **************** is designing and spec'ing tube amps at SLM?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack ....

Bad Cat worth it? It's worth three grand if you really gotta have one, I guess. I'm glad I ain't really gotta have one. I'd take a Pitbull 45 combo over Bad Cat any day ... even if someone else was buying.
              Member of the Ceriatone Club
              Member of the Laney Posse
              Member of the OFFICIAL Bad Monkey (x2) Club

Two G&L USA Legacys with Duncan humbuckers in the bridge --> DigiTech DigiDelay/Dano PB&J Delay --> ToneJamFx Spank'd Monkey --> Loveraft MojoDrive --> Morley Power Wah --> Ceriatone DC30 with a matching 2x12 Vintage 30 cab and Laney LC-50 combo with JJs and an Emi Stonehenge

Comment

+1 on the pittbull 45. its damn close to the badcats i've played and goes for ALOT less money.
                http://www.guttermouthelectronics.com/

Comment

Gar! What's up bro?
                  Founding member of the METAL JUGGERNAUGHT'S West Bygod Virginia chapter.
                  Good trader list:danhops,illcastshadows,nickname009,DiSiAC,Arm adillo of Leprosy and nodachi.

Comment

Originally posted by JackBootedThug
                    Gar! What's up bro?

nothing at all man - you?
                    http://www.guttermouthelectronics.com/

Comment

Bleh. For the money, my new Marshall 1959HW buries Bad Cat

Comment

Originally posted by garfight

nothing at all man - you?

Post some more clips man!
                        Founding member of the METAL JUGGERNAUGHT'S West Bygod Virginia chapter.
                        Good trader list:danhops,illcastshadows,nickname009,DiSiAC,Arm adillo of Leprosy and nodachi.

Comment

They shure are priced high.

However, the Hot Cat 30R blew me away as far as over-the-top high-gain goes.
                          You really want one after trying them out, so be warned!
                          Gear:

Modified Ibanez RG7620 w/ Lundgren pup's
                          Framus Cobra
                          Bogner Uberkab
                          ISP Decimator G-string
                          Eb-tech Line-level shifter
                          Korg DT-10 Instrument tuner

Music(k):

http://www.myspace.com/hjarnidaudi - industrial/drone/doom
                          http://www.myspace.com/kraanium - brutal slamming grooving death/grind

Comment

Originally posted by ragnvald
                            They shure are priced high.

However, the Hot Cat 30R blew me away as far as over-the-top high-gain goes.
                            You really want one after trying them out, so be warned!

The 30R is an Excellent amp

Comment

I was flipping through the channels the other day and came across a Bonnie Raitt "Freeview". While she's not reallly my cup-o-tea the guitarist was playing through a Bad Cat and his tone was amazing. Kinda medium-gain grind and REALLY full sounding. Nice low-end but not muddy at all.

CC
                              Go eXtreme: www.fractalaudio.com

Ignore List:
                              Ricky Bobby
                              guitarbilly74
                              lenster

=add your name here=

Comment

Working...
                              X