1960A Speaker wiring problem?

GregLast

• Members

Here's what I have: Marshall 1960A with 2 V30's and 2 G12T-75's in an X pattern.

Here's the problem: I plugged into it, and started to play. I plugged into the 4 ohm side and set the switch to mono. I'm using a 5150. I set the impedance to match on the 5150. When I play there is NO bottom end. However, if I switch the cabinet to stereo and play the bottom end returns. Same with the 16 ohm side. If I use to speaker cables to go from the head to the two sides of the cabinet, I loose the bottom end again.

What can I do? I've looked to some wiring diagram sites, and I'm not an electrician so some of them just are cut and dry enough for me.

Sombody want to post pictures of the inside of a Marshall 1960A? I just want to make sure I have it wired correctly.

• Members

I thought the same thing but from what I can tell it matches the wiring diagrams that I can find. If someone can post a clear diagram it'd help me out a ton. I think my problem may lye in where the wires are connected at on the back of the jack plate.

• Members

MarshCab.JPG

I had to order a replacement PCB for my 1960AV about 8 years ago.

It took over a year to get the part, and when it showed up.... the circuit board was printed upside down, so all the jacks and switches were backwards. Now you have to plug into the 16 ohm side to get 4 ohms, set the switch to mono to get stereo.... :mad:

But the output 'sides' are still correct, so you cant swap the wiring to 'fix' it. so shut up.

• Members

I had to order a replacement PCB for my 1960AV about 8 years ago.

It took over a year to get the part, and when it showed up.... the circuit board was printed upside down, so all the jacks and switches were backwards. Now you have to plug into the 16 ohm side to get 4 ohms, set the switch to mono to get stereo....
:mad:

But the output 'sides' are still correct, so you cant swap the wiring to 'fix' it. so shut up.

I know Antique Electronics carries those parts... I know this is late but maybe for future reference.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Archived