JMP tone settings.

charveldan

• Members

presence- 0

bass, mids, trebble- 10

volume- 5 to 7

pre- 6 to 8

boost to taste

The only way to run a JMP in my opinion.

You are wiZe inteH wazE oF ToanZ joe, I always thought [for years] that the presence knob on Marshall's had to be at least half way up, but with the Bass, Mid, & Treble at 10 there is plenty of high end on tap & with a boost it's creamy, crunchy, and

very powerful.

My only concern is if the tone will muddy at high volumes?

Right now with the pre at 7, I can't get the master past 2 or 3 without getting the cops called.:cop: Thanks for the tip Joe.:thu:

• Members

That's the way you run an old Marshall!

Other than the presence, the rest of the tone controlls really don't do a whole lot on a jmp. I like to just get the preamp stage "cooking" pretty good. The master and preamp are to taste.

With it set that way, you should have a pretty fair amount of gain that cleans up well with the guitar's volume knob. If you need more gain, boost it.

It shouldn't really get muddy at high volumes unboosted. It will overdrive and start to fall apart a little when the volume gets past 6 or 7, but it's going to be ungodly loud at that point anyways.

Boosted, with the master that high, it may get a bit muddy. At that point you just have to give and take a little. Either turn the preamp or master down until it cleans up. Or, if your boost has some sort of tone controll, brighten it up a little so that you're running a little less low end into the input.

Those were actually my settings that I've used on a number of 2204s. I don't think I'd run the master over 5 on a 2203 though. That's just getting louder than I can handle.

• Members
That's the way you run an old Marshall!

Other than the presence, the rest of the tone controlls really don't do a whole lot on a jmp. I like to just get the preamp stage "cooking" pretty good. The master and preamp are to taste.

With it set that way, you should have a pretty fair amount of gain that cleans up well with the guitar's volume knob. If you need more gain, boost it.

It shouldn't really get muddy at high volumes unboosted. It will overdrive and start to fall apart a little when the volume gets past 6 or 7, but it's going to be ungodly loud at that point anyways.

Boosted, with the master that high, it may get a bit muddy. At that point you just have to give and take a little. Either turn the preamp or master down until it cleans up. Or, if your boost has some sort of tone controll, brighten it up a little so that you're running a little less low end into the input.

Those were actually my settings that I've used on a number of 2204s. I don't think I'd run the master over 5 on a 2203 though. That's just getting louder than I can handle.

You da man Joe!!!:thu:

Archived