X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tung oil on guitar neck?

can i get it at home depot or lowes?

and how many coats are you using? im just about to finish the final sand on my RG neck with some 400 and its feeling really smooth...

think tomorrow ill go get the Tung oil, as i had previously gave it a rough sand to take off some of the finish, but i removed the neck today and completely removed any and all finish...now i need to tung oil it...

also, will it get ugly real bad or will the tung help? my neck had started to get dark from oils from my hands over the last few years its been "rough" sanded...
    Ibanez RG7321-D-Sonic7
    Agile Septor 828MN

Peavey 5150 Sig-Biased
    B52 AT412-Hellatone60Ls x G12T-75s
    Marshall 78' Slant-crap speakers
    Boss Ns-2
    Ibanez TS-9

member o' the boosted mids fanclub

I refinished my Jackson neck a while ago... it was super easy just get an old t-shirt or rag or something and put some tung oil on it (don't soak it, less is more) and rub it into the neck. Then let it dry overnight, rinse repeat. The brand I used was Formby's... I think I did four coats total (all quite thin coats, so it still feels like wood). Anyway it was very simple.
    Guitars: Washburn WG-587 | Roter | Fernandes | Tokai
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra -> ART SLA-2

Bands: Solecism (prog death) | Kisama (black) | Kuroi (brutal) | Embalm (death metal)
    Clips/songs (many styles): soundclick|netmusicians
    Vids: youtube

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

right on...

speakin of jackson-

at the pawn shop today they had a jackson pro dinky with a jackson floyd and HSH config for $119....im a little short on cash otherwise i would of bought it..neck felt REALLY good...almost ibanezish in contour and fret radius..
      Ibanez RG7321-D-Sonic7
      Agile Septor 828MN

Peavey 5150 Sig-Biased
      B52 AT412-Hellatone60Ls x G12T-75s
      Marshall 78' Slant-crap speakers
      Boss Ns-2
      Ibanez TS-9

member o' the boosted mids fanclub

Comment

try tru-oil.

protects better than tung oil, cures faster, feels way smoother but still feels like wood, lasts longer, even looks better. wipes on just as easily with a rag, only it doesn't stink nearly as much so you can apply it just about anywhere.

Comment

I've never used tung oil but it might be a good idea.....if you can try some steel wool after the 400. djent djent.
          Guitars,
          Ernie Ball JP6 and JP7
          RG 3120TW w/EMGs
          RG 570 w/EMGs
          Jackson Soloist and RR1 w/EMG
          Martin D28
          Koumaraska Classical

Amps,
          VHT Pittbull Ultralead
          Randall Iso cab and Marshall 1960
          Mesa DC3 Combo
          Marshall VS 8100
          Peavey Vypyr 75
          Crate acoustic amp

Pedals,
          TS9, NS2, DD20

www.soundclick.com/donnie71

Comment

at the pawn shop today they had a jackson pro dinky with a jackson floyd and HSH config for $119....im a little short on cash otherwise i would of bought it..neck felt REALLY good...almost ibanezish in contour and fret radius..

**************** that's an awesome deal! You should try to grab that if you can, flip it on CL or the 'bay for some profit

Bands: Solecism (prog death) | Kisama (black) | Kuroi (brutal) | Embalm (death metal)

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

try tru-oil.

protects better than tung oil, cures faster, feels way smoother but still feels like wood, lasts longer, even looks better. wipes on just as easily with a rag, only it doesn't stink nearly as much so you can apply it just about anywhere.

Haven't used tru-oil but Tung Oil was about as easy as it gets, not even particularly smelly

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

Haven't used tru-oil but Tung Oil was about as easy as it gets, not even particularly smelly

gotta wait a lot longer between coats with tung oil.

i've used both, and tru-oil is seriously like a miracle finish for necks. i'll never bother with tung oil again. it feels like silky smooth wood and was ridiculously easy to apply.

enough coats and it can even rival lacquer for gloss... check out this guy's neck with tru-oil on it.

Comment

yep, tru-oil is suppose to be a little higher quality/user friendly tung-oil.

the stuff i like is the Gun Stock Wax from the same people who make the tru-oil. after your oil drys, soak the finest steel wool you can get with the wax and sand it down like that and the neck will be just crazy smooth.

Comment

What does tru-oil do, exactly?
                    I used 0000 steel wool to remove some of the glossy/sticky clear coat on the back of my SG's neck, and it feels great, but I think it can be a bit smoother.
                    It sounds to me like tru-oil gives that satin-ish, smooth, fast feeling, but maintains gloss like poly clear coats? Am I on the right page?

Comment

gotta wait a lot longer between coats with tung oil.

i've used both, and tru-oil is seriously like a miracle finish for necks. i'll never bother with tung oil again. it feels like silky smooth wood and was ridiculously easy to apply.

enough coats and it can even rival lacquer for gloss... check out this guy's neck with tru-oil on it.

Damn, that's purdy although it looks way glossier than I would want it to... there's no way in hell that neck feels like wood.

But thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try Tru-Oil if/when I do my next refinish! All I can say is, Tung Oil worked great for me so that's what I'm recommending.

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

Damn, that's purdy although it looks way glossier than I would want it to... there's no way in hell that neck feels like wood.

I gotta agree. It looks like a damn heavy gloss finish
                        You don't win friends with salad

BRO CLUB MEMBER: NaturalBornBro

All that is needed for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

i'm kinda curious as well.

i wanna do either of them to my necks on all my guitars but wasn't sure which was better or which i'd like better?

i was leaning tung, but is tru oil better?
                          Originally Posted by Rampage

You have repressed sexual feelings for your father.

SPAM:PM ME
                          SD Hot Rail LINK
                          Dimarzio Tone Zone-Black F Spaced
                          Dimarzio Air Norton-Black F Spaced

Comment

More like..

What does tru-oil do, exactly?
                            I used 0000 steel wool to remove some of the glossy/sticky clear coat on the back of my SG's neck, and it feels great, but I think it can be a bit smoother.
                            It sounds to me like tru-oil gives that satin-ish, smooth, fast feeling, but maintains gloss like poly clear coats? Am I on the right page?

And I'm not trying to be a bother, but I feel that this is on-topic with the thread! Thought I'd get some info out there.

Comment

Probably can't go wrong either way. I can speak from experience that tung oil is awesome, but I bet tru-oil is great too.

Oh and to answer your question Lee, basically it gives the wood a coating so that it's protected from dirt getting in the grain, etc... also gives it a slight golden coloring. And so I've heard the more you put on there the glossier it can get and can essentially act like a lacquer finish. You can read up on it on teh Wikipedia...

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

Working...
                              X