X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garageband w/ USB interface help

So I decided to try out Garageband after having it on my Macs for a while. I have an old Tascam US-122. Not the nicest interface but it is useable. At any rate, I plugged into my MacBook Pro, changed the system prefs so they us the interface, changed Garageband prefs to use the interface, plugged my headphones into the interface and grab one of their stock settings and start to play.

It sounded absolutely horrid. I can't even explain the amount of suck. It was super compressed and sounded almost like an input had been overloaded. I checked my interface, I'm plugged into the guitar in and the signal isn't overloading. In Garageband the signal is strong but not overloading. I've been fooling with it for a bit and it just sounds awful.

Normally I might think maybe it's the headphones but I plug into my BOSS GT-8 and use the headphones and it sounds pretty nice. Does anyone have an idea of where I might be going wrong? I don't expect studio quality out of this setup, but it should sound better than this I would think.
    My References

PMing me about who is in my avatar is creepy, so don't. Don't ask tommythelurker either because he'll PM the mods.

Anyone?
    My References

PMing me about who is in my avatar is creepy, so don't. Don't ask tommythelurker either because he'll PM the mods.

Comment

I love garageband and my macs, but the built in amp models suck. I've found a way around it that actually works out really well... let me find the thread...

Thread
      Facebook SoundCloudGood Deals with; STEELKAGE, LenDuffy, Yo_Squig, theemarkmiller and others I've forgottenSPAMDimarzio Paf Pro red- 30$ Shipped(one thread is worn)Ampeg VH140C

Comment

Thanks for the link. Might give that stuff a download and check it out.

Are the Garageband amps as bad as I'm describing, though, or does it sound like I'm doing something wrong?
        My References

Comment

I have not played with the Garageband amps but they might just be that bad. Have you tried any of the other virtual instruments in GB to see how they sound? If they all sound as bad as you describe it might be that your interface is just not Mac friendly.
          Good Dealings with: LoFiBrian, 23cicero, Keebz, O'Rourke, PBomber22, cadillacman, chuckmehh, FXR, Jesse G, lank81

BlueStrat: I have to laugh when people will pay $1.69 for a bottle of Pepsi, 3 bucks for a latte or $1.39 for a frigging candy bar but a song they can own, listen to, learn and keep for years is too much at 99 cents.

http://www.myspace.com/dalisllama

Comment

The Garageband amps are pretty bad.
            Throw up a clip and we'll see.
            www.youtube.com/paolojm

Comment

I'm thinking they nay have upgraded them in iLife '11 but I still have '10. So all I can say is the '10 amp sims sound booty.
              Facebook SoundCloudGood Deals with; STEELKAGE, LenDuffy, Yo_Squig, theemarkmiller and others I've forgottenSPAMDimarzio Paf Pro red- 30$ Shipped(one thread is worn)Ampeg VH140C

Comment

amazingly, the amps on the iPad version sound so much better. On the Mac, they sound awful, but when i bring a recording from the iPad into the Mac, it still sounds good. No idea what is going on there. One thing I did notice is that the recording always sounds better than playing live monitored.
                My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
                Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
                Marshall DSL50

Comment

I'll have to fool with it some more and see. Haven't even recorded yet because it was so bad sounding.
                  My References

Comment

maybe your buffer size in garageband isnt working well with the interface? if i mess with the buffer in logic too much it starts causing the nappy sounds of which you speak, idk if its the same in garageband but its worth a try to mess with those settings if you can
                    Good deals with: Conky,airship71

Comment

Also, the very early versions of GarageBand's amps were really good, then they went to ****************. The newest version.. they got better again
                      My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
                      Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
                      Marshall DSL50

Comment

maybe your buffer size in garageband isnt working well with the interface? if i mess with the buffer in logic too much it starts causing the nappy sounds of which you speak, idk if its the same in garageband but its worth a try to mess with those settings if you can

Where is that setting? I checked prefs but didn't see it
                        My References

Comment

Buffer setting will cause latency or digital distortion, but not EQ or dynamics differences.

Are you just plugging the guitar right into the US122? Those are low impedance line inputs. Of course they sound like balls with a high impedance source like a guitar.

Use a direct box, or, at the very least, this, between the guitar and the 122:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZBox/

Trust me.
                          Yup. PM inbox is full.

Comment

Buffer setting will cause latency or digital distortion, but not EQ or dynamics differences.

Are you just plugging the guitar right into the US122? Those are low impedance line inputs. Of course they sound like balls with a high impedance source like a guitar.

Use a direct box, or, at the very least, this, between the guitar and the 122:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZBox/

Trust me.

I'll try my DI box but the 122 has a line or guitar input
                            My References

Comment

I'll try my DI box but the 122 has a line or guitar input

I'm aware, but the impedance on the US122's instrument input is 2.2k ohms. The impedance of a guitar pickup is typically 20K to 40K ohms (20,000 to 40,000) ohms. So the ideal input impedance of a guitar amp (or direct box input, or instrument input) is at least 7 to 10 times higher, or at least 280K to 400K ohms.

This is why it sounds like balls. Use a DI.
                              Yup. PM inbox is full.

Comment

Working...
                              X