Need help! Vintage Grommes Precision Electronics PA

Itsmysound

• Members

I have recently learned that my father is in possession of a old tube pa head that he played on growing up that belonged to his father.  It is a Grommes Precision Electronics.  He told me he had wanted to get it fixed  to be able to play out of it again.  He had gone to a shop locally that only seemed interested in working on it if he wanted to convert it to a $1000 boutique amp and that's not what he wanted, he wants to be able to play out of the head he played through as a teen.  This is the easy part though.

I spoke to a different more reasonable shop who appreciated the memories that are trying to be relived and is capable and willing to help restore the head.  I am going to do so as a surprise so I brought up the head to try to find out where he had it by asking about why my grandfather had it (he didn't play) So he told me the story of this portable PA system that my grandfather used when conducting local meetings at the grocery he owned.  He described it as 2 speaker cabs each with a 12" that had a storage space between them to store the head when you slid them together and then the two cabinets latched to one another with a carrying handle on top.  Has anyone seen one of these systems?  I am looking for pictures if possible of the cabinets and am thinking of having them made if I can't locate them to purchase.  I can only imagine the emotion he will feel if I am able to carry in a PA system just like the one he had watched his dad conduct meetings through, then he himself played guitar through with the original head in restored working order.  PLEASE HELP!  ANY info is very helpful, I actual got him to draw a picture (rough) while describing the cabinet set up so if there is more information I should try to get from him to help you help me just say so.  Thanks!

• Members

I can get a closer look at it when he is out of the house for the model. I will contact them for help too!  Thanks!  Any ideas on the speaker cabinets themselves? I went throught google images for an hour trying to find a picture of a setup like what he described without success.  If I'm going to have to have someone make them I want them to look something like the originals....and I've never seen them.....

Archived