Silvertone Twin Twelve

Uh_Me

• Members

So I need a little help. I have just found an amp that I've wanted for a couple of years: a 1965 Silvertone 1484. It does not have the cabinet, so its just the head. The seller says it still plays but it needs caps changed. He's asking $350. I don't really have that much to spare. Maybe $200. 

So what I need is you guys to arm me with some questions and whatnot to help me talk him down some. I know that a few years ago these amps in perfect condition went for about $200. But the value apparently skyrocketed with Dave Grohl and Jack White using the1485 model. But still, in perfect condition they are running for $600 to $800 WITH the cabinet. So any help would be appreciated.

(Btw, how much does it generally cost to change caps?)

• Members

Hard to believe I sold one of those in late 70's for $15 in a trading paper. Considered a POS at the time by most players. Now they are revered.

Are the tubes original? Caps for those are multisection and run on avg $45-50 shipped. That's for teh main filter. The smaller caps are around $4-5.

I'm guessing a retube, recap, maintenance might go for $250-275. Hard to say without seeing it. But you have about $120 in tubes and $75 in caps, plus labor.

I'd tell the guy he's asking way too much.

• Members

To be real honest ,,, I would not put money into fixing up an old silvertone. Go buy a fender hot rod deluxe and just be done with it. Vintage amps are great if your goal is to collect ,, if you goal is to gig ,, modern amps kick butt on pretty well all the old stuff. This is funny ,, I recruited a bass player back in the day and he has a silver tone piggy back bass amp. He was told by the band ,, you got the gig , but you will be required to go buy a pro level amp.

Archived