2203X vs. DSL100

Nazgul6

• Members

I have the 2203X so as a result I'm married to an OD pedal, and then to get the metal sound I'm after I have a GE-7 in the loop.

Would I be sacrificing a lot to make the jump to a DSL100. From what I've heard the low end is a little better, I would have more gain on tap, plus I would have the clean channel.

Or is that just stupid?

• Members

I had both of those in my gigging rig awhile back.

I preferred the 2203X for 80's/thrash/speed/death/metal.

I play in a Slayer tribute band and the 2203X nails the tone I needed.

As for the bottom end....the DSL 100 was boomier...muddier even when compared to the knock/thump of the 2203X.

The only way I'd get rid of a 2203X to get a DSL 100 was if I really needed a clean channel. I prefer the tone of the 2203X to that of the DSL.

If you get the DSL 100.....A boosted green/crunch channel on a DSL can get close to a 2203 tone....but its not the same.

• Members

I'd stick with the JCM800. I used a DSL100 for 2 years in a band situation (sometimes using the lead channel, sometimes boosting the green) and it was very good. However about a year ago I got a 2203X (I use either a TS9 or SD-1), and it has a punch the DSL100 just doesn't seem to have.

• Members

Originally posted by dstroud

I'd stick with the JCM800. I used a DSL100 for 2 years in a band situation (sometimes using the lead channel, sometimes boosting the green) and it was very good. However about a year ago I got a 2203X (I use either a TS9 or SD-1), and it has a punch the DSL100 just doesn't seem to have.

Thanks guys. Great info.

I have the Keeley SD-1 and a TS-9 reissue. Either of those push the 2203x prety well.

• Members

I choose the DSL too. Like others said there is not a HUGE difference so the versatility and EXCELLENT clean channel sold me on the DSL.

Tone freaks could prob tell the difference but in a band setting, 99% of your regular audience won't so the versatility sold me on the DSL. It still sounds awesome :thu:

• Members

The DSL's lead channel is pretty gainy, but if you want to push it into high gain metal territory your gonna need to keep a OD pedal...And there's nothing wrong with that ;-)

I have a Keeley TS-9...Amazing how my amp could sound with it.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Owned 2 DSL100'S they sounded identical to each other. They didn't have near the kick of the 2203x. The transformers are small on the DSL'S and I think that is the difference. However the clean on the DSL is amazing, I ran them in stereo and the compliments kept coming. I guess I just have to have a JCM800 to be happy .  LOL

Archived