Vocal Damage issue. NEED FEEDBACK PLZ?!?!

heltaskelta32

• Members

I have an voice issue I would like some peoples opinion on, or similar stories, advise or their take.

11 weeks ago, I lost my voice at a festival, (first ever voice problem, silly, but never again) through shouting and screaming songs at the top of my voice for hours.

I couldn't talk properly for a few weeks (Hoarse voice) then my I was able to talk fine, but chose not to for about a month, but still after 12 weeks, the bottom few notes of my falsetto is very weak, and the rest of it I cant sing. I just get air when I attempt to sing those notes I used to have power and control over. I try to speak as minimally as possible, and stay away from loud environments.

I use my falsetto a lot in my RnB/Pop songs, and am working on a EP but is on hold until I can actually sing again, with no issue :-/ I also have shows booked in New York in Spring (5 months time). Music is my life and career, so this is incredibly scary for me, as my career is just kicking off.

My voice generally feel weak, as its a muscle and hasn’t been exercised a lot. Im unsure weather to try to start rebuilding its strength or to wait until I feel its healed to the point it was at before it was initially damaged?

I am in no pain whatsoever, but just feels like theres a limit on my voice.

I am awaiting to have seen an ENT doctor on the National Health Service (NHS) which could take upto 3 months to get seen? Didn't go prior to this because I thought vocal damage would have been gone by now.

Has anyone got any similar stories to this, suggestions or have anything to say on this. I would be incredibly thankful for any replies.

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

HELTA...

Just prior to recording 3 songs i was in panic mode like you...Thought my "nodes" were back after 12 years...NO INSURANCE...My range was getting worse and worse

Didn't have time to take 3 months off...Here's what i did.....

No singing for 2 weeks...minimal talking unless talked to at work and home....One 2 & one 3 day COMPLETE VOCAL REST....no murmur, whistle, clear throat...Wrote on an GREASE BOARD and IPAD....

i bought Sprouts Vocal Remedy and mixed Vocal EZe 1/2 and 1/2 solutuin...

Dissolved papaya enzyme chewables in my mouth...Took Bromelein pills...

Throat coat tea (2 bags) dissolved 2 Ricola original lemon drops and melted in tea, mixed with honey...

My voice bounced back and range returned to better than in the previous 10 years

Hope this helps, It's my own invention, but it worked wonders for me

Listen to my 1st 2 songs on my website as they were recorded within 5 weeks of my major issues..

http://www.stevealtonian.com

• Members

Heltaskelta32,

You've got a friend in me with the same problem. I haven't had a singing voice in almost four months now. I'm an acoustic guitarist (been playing since 1967) and as of early June this year my falsetto just took a hike. My problem wasn't the result of any heavy-duty shouting or cheering but it just showed up when I was sitting down by my favorite lake here in Minneapolis to "people watch" and play my guitar. I have since gone to ENT and was very dissatisfied with what they told me...to the extent that I'm contesting their bill to me (amount: $525) on the grounds of incompetence.

As per what I've been doing to get my voice back, I've bought a small bottle of throat spray called Singer's Saving Grace. It's available at neighborhood co-ops and health food stores. It's pretty potent stuff, but so far it hasn't done much good. A friend of mine has suggested going the holistic route, as she goes to a healing center run by a local college professor here in the Twin Cities. I haven't tried it yet, but she says he does great work.

Another suggestion I might send your way, which I'm also now considering myself, is that it may be a late onset allergy. In both our situations, this has lasted way too long for it to be a mere case of laryngitis. And, onset of allergies can occur anytime over the course of one's life.

I don't know if any of this will help you, but I hope there's a nugget of good somewhere within it all. Obviously, I'm still searching for a solution, too. If you hear of anything, or if anyone out there reading this does, please post it here.

Thanks!

Archived