Help with tone.

• Members

A friend and I recorded a cover tonight:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10935356

Listening back I know I still get flat at some points, but I am working on that, but I realized, now that my singing is improving, at least a tiny bit, that I'm not sure I'm happy with my tone. It sounds... weird to me. Maybe to mellow or flat sounding. I've also heard that if I'm not singing using certain resonance and things like that, it can effect my pitch too.

What tips can you guys give me?

• Members

Most of the vocal is really quite good. You do go flat/wobbly in a few places, but nothing that some practice won't fix. The tone sounds fine--but you may want to bump up the vocal, as it's a little too low in the mix.

Your voice does at times get a little weak (wobbly), and this usually means that you're holding back. Folks will often try to control dynamics by pulling back the voice, sometimes creating at the same time a nasal sound. You may have to learn to control dynamics in a different way: Keep the sound pure and flowing, always projecting directly out of the mouth; then soften the voice without making it weaker, and especially without redirecting or holding back the sound. I realize that this is a little vague, but it's the best I can do right now.

This kind of problem can also stem from breathing issues. If your voice is weakening because you're running out of breath, then the paragraph above may be less important. If so, look up breathing exercises; you want to support your voice by maintaining a reservoir of air at all times.

For the most part you do sound very good. :thu: You've got a few minor issues, but nothing that can't be fixed in short order.

Archived