I just need some general feedback on my recording, can you hear something I can't hear? And is my tone alright?

Nible

• Members

I started more seriously practicing singing around the beginning of this year, to complement the screaming I've been practicing for about a year. My practice sessions are basically just singing along to songs and recording myself in my dorm room, seeing what sounds good and what doesn't, don't have any access to a vocal coach or anywhere to sing loudly without bothering people, so I kind of need to keep practice at a minimum, around an hour a day at most. Here's a cover I did: http://vocaroo.com/i/s02ap6UpQZaq

It was done in several takes, and although I'm pretty happy with it, I can tell myself that it's not perfect. Some parts sound pretty good to my ears (like the "Light is coming from the narrow road" at around 1:11), and some parts sound worse but relatively OK (like the "And if I fall death will not stain one of his hands" at 1:37). And the only part I really think sucks is "The chains are part of me" at 2:44. Am I correct in my assessment or can more experienced vocalists hear things I can't? It would be nice to know if I'm good at assessing myself or not, if I am then I don't need to ask others all the time.

And also, is my tone alright or is does it sound forced?

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The vocal distortion you are using can hurt your voice. You should not try to do that unless you have been trained in a method that is safe to use. What you are doing can cause damage.

Your doubled vocals make it hard to tell very much about your technique. You ask about your tone. I don't know if forced is the right word. I think it's more like an untrained sound, a self-taught sound, one that is not based in good vocal technique. I don't think your voice sucks. I just think you need to train so that you have a basis to improve from. Some vocalists do fine with self-taught techniques. Others would have a longer and more successful vocal career if they get a little help in building their voice using standard techniques that are appropriate for the genre they want to sing.

Good Singing to You!

Bob

Archived