should I do nays nays before edge excercises

• Members

I do singing for stars program

what I want to know is that should I do nays nays and mum mum's well before edge excercises

Reason why am asking is that I did edge excercises be for nays nays and mum mum's

I also would like to know how to do nay nays properly and what are its benefits

should I practice it daily and how often

plz help me

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I did the singing for the stars program long ago, as well as several others that used the Nay, nays, the mum-mums, the goog-googs, and several others, as well as the "edge" exercise.

The thing that these programs are teaching is to launch all vowels with consonants like N (nay) M (mum, and moom) G (gug, and goog) and so forth. I spent several years on those programs before finding one that actually taught me to sing on vowels without having to launch them on hard consonants.

You aren't going to find any songs that are based on nay, nay, nay or mum, mum, mum. In order to sing well, you actually need to minimize the consonants, and learn to sustain vowels. When we sing, we sustain vowels, not consonants.

Most singing is going to be based on the AH vowel and you need to be learning to sing on the AH, as well as A, E, O, and Ooh.

As in A, E, I, O, U...

Most of these outfits that are having you do meow, meow, and mum-mum, are not teaching you something that will help you to improve your voice. I did it for years. I sounded pretty darned good on Nay, Nay, Nay, and meow, meow, meow... but those things did not really teach me to sing. The lip rolls are good. The rest is filler.

I don't mean to disappoint you. I know you spent good money on that program. So did I, and I spent a lot of time trying to make it work for me. And I spent a lot of time trying to get several of the other well-known programs to work, and they just were selling hot air. Maybe they work for some people, but knowing what I know now, I don't see how they can, except through the placebo effect.

I probably spent ten years working various singing programs that did not work, before I found one that worked right at the beginning and has kept me progressing from that day forward. I just can't honestly tell you that you "should" do nay-nays at all, when I've been there, done that, and know it for what it is.

Maybe there are some "Singing for the Stars" students here that think that program actually works that can offer another viewpoint.

I spent over five years, earnestly trying to make speech level singing programs work, including the big-name versions of that method, practicing those scales constantly.

The sls approach is just ineffective.

I apologize to any who are invested in SLS that take offense. No offense is intended.

Bob

Archived