new singer, need help

BSB

• Members

Hello everyone

Im new to singing and Ive think my range is 2 octaves from A3 to A5 (although both As are hard to hit) and I know im not great (I have a loud and annoying voice in general as people point out all the time) but im hoping to at least improve to a 'passable' standard of singing. I have already contacted a singing tutor about booking lessons just waiting for confirmation and have watched some you tube advice videos and think I need to work on breath control, pitch, singing in key and legato (so basically everything)

I have a short clip and wanted some opinions of people who aren't involved and dont know me so could you please listen to the clip and give advice on what to improve (sorry if its horrific)

[ATTACH]n31342146[/ATTACH]

• Members

@BSB

You are correct that you need pretty much the whole enchilada of vocal technique. You have a high range, but you need to learn the basics of singing in order to take your voice to a level that I think you want to achieve.

You do need to learn breath control, breath support, how to create the tone you are looking for, how to focus-in on pitch, what exercises will built your voice, etc.

Right now you are using a breathy tone. Too much breath will dry the vocal cords out and is not that healthy.

So look around and find a vocal coach that teaches in the genre you want to learn, and is reputable. Make sure that the things mentioned above are part of the curriculum. You do have potential, but you need to develop that potential into something consistent that you can rely upon.

All the best to You!

Bob

• Members

You need to figure out what you want to focus most of your time on first. Is it intonation/tone/range? I think your range is ok, but you might wanna work on your intonation. I hear a lot of singers who can hit really high notes but are always a bit off in terms of pitch. Most of my favorite singers are not "belters" but they have very good intonation, and are a joy to listen to. Maybe start off with that first.

Archived