No announcement yet.

Putting the cart ahead of the horse?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting the cart ahead of the horse?

Well my last band I was in we went from $600 for a 2 night weekend show to $1200-1500 a night while I was with them. I was the one who pushed for a sound man, merchandise, and different ways to get in the local media. This took over the course of over a year.

Now I am in a new band, and we are every bit as good,with the potential to be better. (2 good singers, makes and female) we have only played 2 shows but the last one was higher profile and we got TONS of great feedback, and more gig oppurtunities are rolling in. Im wanting to get shirts made up, an stickers to sell, as well as hire a videographer to do up a promo vid for us.

Is it too early for that stuff after 2 shows? My opinion is noone is going to take you for a professional unless you act like a professional. But on the other hand I realize can sometimes be TOO driven to push forward too fast.

I'm thinking that by putting on a top notch show (which we do IMO) and getting all this stuff done now.(website, merch, promo vid etc) we can fast track our timeline.

I'm rambling and wondering wether I'm pushing to fast to soon

IMO "too soon" is a judgment or risk call that only you can make. If you have trust in your fellow bandmates and band, then no it is not too early. The only thing you risk is your money.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. -Will Rogershttp://facebook.com/SpitShineRocks

Comment

You don't sound like you have any major doubts. . . do you? Are you afraid the name might change or something?

I think if the rest of the band / major players are ready to move forward then roll. Maybe start with the demo though. 

Check my band: SoulPlay - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TH9-e4FmaE
      Key Rig: Alesis Fusion 8HD; Roland A-800 Pro; Toshiba i7 laptop running Cantabile VST host with IK Multimedia Total Workstation Bundle, NI Vintage Organs, Tyrell N6, Sylenth1, XLN Addictive Keys, NI FM8; Tascam US-1641 USB MIDI/Audio Interface; 2 x RCF Art 310-A MK III series monitors.

Comment

Nope no major doubts, names staying. Some tiny concerns but nothing to worry about unless we get way bigger.

Comment

stangconv wrote:
          Well my last band I was in we went from $600 for a 2 night weekend show to $1200-1500 a night while I was with them. I was the one who pushed for a sound man, merchandise, and different ways to get in the local media. This took over the course of over a year.

Now I am in a new band, and we are every bit as good,with the potential to be better. (2 good singers, makes and female) we have only played 2 shows but the last one was higher profile and we got TONS of great feedback, and more gig oppurtunities are rolling in. Im wanting to get shirts made up, an stickers to sell, as well as hire a videographer to do up a promo vid for us.

Is it too early for that stuff after 2 shows? My opinion is noone is going to take you for a professional unless you act like a professional. But on the other hand I realize can sometimes be TOO driven to push forward too fast.

I'm thinking that by putting on a top notch show (which we do IMO) and getting all this stuff done now.(website, merch, promo vid etc) we can fast track our timeline.

You sound like me. That being said, I'll simply say this: if you have the time, the means, and the drive to do all of that, then do all of that. Better to have it and not need it then the other way around! 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
          My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

Thanks. Sometimes i step back and look and think, man I'm driving this hard.

Comment

• mstreck
              mstreck commented
              Editing a comment

stangconv wrote:
              Thanks. Sometimes i step back and look and think, man I'm driving this hard.

Imagine how cool it would be if everyone else in the band had the drive that you do. 

Haha

Comment

stangconv wrote:

This is a large part of the reason that I decided that the other singer and I were going to "own" the band, and run it like a business. Those decisions are ours to make, and the bassist and drummer we hire know going into it that they'll have to be on board with things to "up the value" of the group whenever possible.

Comment

Working...
              X