Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good (cheap rack EQ that won't affect my tone?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good (cheap rack EQ that won't affect my tone?

I'm looking for a good rack EQ that won't break the bank (~$100?) but I hear that some of them can really suck the tone out, and I'm not full of money. What are my options?

That's what an EQ is designed to do. It sucks tone, or it boosts tone. It is designed TO affect tone.
    "Understanding that sentence meant he wasn't much of a chess player." - Abzurd

Winner of MYSTIC FX'S Most Metal Face, Early '09 Award

Eden WT550B, D212XLT-4 times two, D210XLT, SKB US Roto Rack 4U, USA-made X2 XDS-Plus, Korg DT-7 tuner, Tobias Killer B5, Ibanez Prestige SR1005EFM, world-famous custom rack mounted CUP HOLDER! For my BEER!

Comment

I'm looking for a good rack EQ that won't break the bank (~$100?) but I hear that some of them can really suck the tone out, and I'm not full of money. What are my options?

In the past, I used a mono 31 band Peavey Q431F. It was a heavy 2U unit, but made in the ole USA and very good.

I use now a stereo 1U dbx215 with satisfactory results.
      My band's page: www.defender-music.net

Comment

That's what an EQ is designed to do. It sucks tone, or it boosts tone. It is designed TO affect tone.

A good transparent EQ should maintain not only the same tone, but also the dynamics, the harmonic content and the headroom, with all sliders at 0db. A low end one, like any low end effect made with cheap components, might suck-out the dynamics (add unwanted compression), add noise or dull the tone. OP is right asking for advice.
        My band's page: www.defender-music.net

Comment

Working...
        X