Any experience with the Altman Spectra Par-100?

blsmn

• Members

Was wondering if anyone here has logged any time with these instruments. I am seriously considering picking up a few for theatrical stage lighting - I like the fact that it has amber LED's also and the wide flood lenses. I have no real fly space per se - 11' trim height for instruments and I basically use 65Q fresnels now for all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd above stage electrics. I am interested in adding 4 or 5 of the Spectra's on the 1st electric to have the capability of multi-colored washes from one instrument, and then use my remaining 65Q's to put additional standard gel washes in the mix. I already have some Irradiant LED strips so I know the color difference between LED's and conventionals is pretty substantial - but I think with a little creative manipulating a person could get them to play nice together. Any opinions on the Altman's or my master scheme?

• Members

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I have been researching for almost the last 3 months trying to find a LED or conventional color changer that would work in my situation and everything except for the Spectra had shortcomings. They still are not quite the beam angle I would like with the wide flood lens, but I have made inquiries to Altman about using their very wide flood lens from the Star par for the Spectra. If that is not possible I think the WFL with some diffusion or silk might be just the ticket. Sure wish I could find someone to let me try one out before I buy though - at $1600 a pop they are a little intimidating - but it looks like I will have to just go ahead and purchase one to see if they will fit the scheme and if they do I can then order the rest. Now that you say they are amazing I am pumped to get one in and fire it up - if they work out like I am envisioning I will put up some pics later....thanks again.

Archived