Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're gonna start to do it too but I'm not too sure what kind of soundcard I need to have the killer sound that we want. Any suggestions? We're currently using a synth.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.&quot; <br />
    - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.yourmomrocks.com/" target="_blank">Believe it or not, the name of our band is YOUR MOM. Click here to check us out.</a><br />
    <br />
    </div>

Comment

I've just started to use a laptop. All my backup tracks are in MP3. They sound great!. I chain 3 songs in a row to perform a medley of hits....and I can do while on stage in just a few seconds by clicking the mouse.

Pretty handy...it's just my laptop, my guitar and pedals. That's it.
      I am using this set up rather successfully.

Comment

What about the drummer he must have a click track tho

Comment

Jimbo, I am in basically the same situation as you (a duo with midi backing tracks). Like you, we were using a laptop to play the midi files but we recently switched to using a midi file player because I was worried about using the laptop in these smokey bar type situations. Its a stand-alone sequencer that plays midis off of a floppy disk. Its pretty handy and its cheaper than a laptop. We still bring the laptop as a backup though.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I'm not coming down, no matter what you do.&quot; - Mr. Bellamy</div>

Comment

Originally posted by keano
            need a click going to the drummer and also stereo out for PA system. Also need to have some sort of midi connection as I want to play live along with band using an external controller.

what sound card do I need for laptop and also how do I get just a click to the drummer and not in the PA?

You will need a soundcard with at least 3 outputs if you want to run your backing tracks in stereo. Its much easier & cost effective to run your backing track mono. Then you can just pan the Backing track hard left & click track hard right. Use a pre-fade aux send on the mixer to send the click track just to a monitor mix and not FOH. Also you can mix down the mono track (hard left) and Click (hard right) to a stereo Wav or Mp3 file and then use a stand alone player or regular media player to play back the tracks.

If you're really set on trying to run the backing track in stereo start looking into 4 output soundcards with midi capability for laptops (not sure there is anything that does all that for laptops). Most of the time the stereo effect is lost on 90% of the audience because most venues arent set-up with stereo imaging in mind.

Comment

Ok Stunning babe
              So what your saying is you us eonly MP3's now.

So I am guessign your using a sequencer of some sort. ACID or Cubase.

You got your MP3 or mixed stereo WAV file in sync with a clcik is that right?

Comment

Hmm never thought about that Fossill. good points on the clubs not being ready for stereo mix out.

Comment

Originally posted by keano
                  Ok Stunning babe
                  So what your saying is you us eonly MP3's now.

So I am guessign your using a sequencer of some sort. ACID or Cubase.

You got your MP3 or mixed stereo WAV file in sync with a clcik is that right?

I recorded all my back up tracks from scratch. That means all the kick, snare, toms, hi hats, cymbals, bass, guitars, back up vocals, keyboard parts etc...are all performed by me....and yes...all 100% of it.

There is not a single song that I perform that does not have my own playing or voice in it. All tracks are mixed, treated with the right effects and mixed into 2 track stereo.

I do not use stereo for stage performance coz there's no point trying to make it stereo when people are not sitting in the centre of the loudspeakers.

No, I do not perform with anyone else on stage. It is me all by myself...so I don't need a click track.

Comment

Working...
                  X