recommendations for wired IEMs

• Members

i finally settles on one plan for personal monitoring and all three of us get our own mixer (behringer 602) fed from a splitter box. i'll be using IEMs, but they only ones i've seen are shure. needless to say, we're not going for super fidelity and the stage won't be that loud (thanks to the monitoring system, we can turn out {censored} down for once) and i'm looking to spend under $200 on the earpieces.

...so, just a brand and a model...or just a brand suggestion will be great and i can do the rest, unless, of course, you have more to add.

as always, your input is sincerely appreciated.

-jim

• Members

you'd still want to have a limiter in the chain.

which is why i'd go with the shure psm 200 wired. can be had for

otherwise, you can build a mackoid-style system by buying a limiter - like the alesis microlimiter - or just a compressor set to limit - and separate earbuds.

if you want a good in-ear feel, you can't go wrong with the shure e2s, $79 new. that'll save you plenty for the limiter. otherwise, even the rat shack (blech) ones do a decent job.

btw, what are you using the b. 602 mixers for? if just to step up line-level to phones-level, the psm200 does that. so would a headphone amp.

see what works out best for ya!

hope this helps

AS

ps- this is definitely a shure plug. coz im a diehard shure guy :D you *might* want to look into sennheiser too.

• Members

We are using the shure E1 buds, and I like them a lot.

We run them wired with a headphone amp, which is the berringer unit, and it works fine... it has some tone controls and volume for each channell and some other features that are nice... even if it is probably a litlle "cheap"... so far so good as far as I am concerned.

We also use a limiter in the loop, which one can be bought pretty reasonably on e-bay as Macoid has suggested before ( I took his advice).

SR

• Members

the reason for individual mixers over headphone amps is so that everyone can have their own mix...individual levels and eq since the drummer will want more guitar, the bassist will probably want plenty of guitar, and i'll want everything. it was easier and more affordable. i've done a test of the system with some cheap mics and cheap cans and everything worked out like i had planned.

that having been said, the ONLY thing i'm interested in are the earpieces. since i'm using behringer mixers, i can't see the point in spending 500 bucks on some custom-molded pieces. enter "pig in a dress" scenario.

thanks again, folks.

-jim

• Members

Yes, the limiter is a good idea because like the name says, it can "limit" the amount of signal that goes into our ear, and heck, our ear might really appreciate that eh? You get some wild feedback loop howling, and it is wired direct to fyour ear drum.. it would be really loud.

There is another reason I like the shure E1 ear phones, which is that they offer an optional "triple flange" ear sleeve, which is VERY comfortable for only $ 10...... much nicer than the foam sleeves, and much cheaper than having a custom made molded one...

But... I am a newbie... what do I know?

• Members

yep. a brickwall limiter will NOT let your output cross a certain level, whatever the input signal may be. unless your signal is a transient less than 0.1ms (or whatever the attack of the limiter is), it'll compress any and all signal above the threshold level to a flat line (or nearabouts).

AS

• Members

The HDS-6 is comprised of a distribution amp that resides in your mixer rack and individual maxers out at each users location. There is a limiter built in, and the unit allows each person to mix their very own 4 track mix. The distribution unit and the remote mixers can be had on musicians friend.com for not that much money. The remotes are $89.00 while the distribution is around $175.00. The E2's are $89.00 each set.

Archived