Way to make ID3 tags read only on MP3's?

• Members

I'm going to be doing some digital audio production for internet distribution and we want to use a format that:

1) Is non-platform specific

And

2) Allows us to "tag" the files with read-only information so that no-one else can take claim to our work

I figured MP3's would be great because of their non-platform specific nature. They play in all media players on all makes of computer.

My question is this...is there a way to make the ID3 tag for the MP3 so that someone can't change it and write over it? Does Vers. 2 ID3 support this maybe? Is there a specific encoding application that will allow me to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by CoolDrum3

Man, why can't someone invent a lockable MP3 that can't be decompressed once it's been created?

Could it be done? sure. But it would be a complete waste of time. All it would take would be another software program to hack the mp3 file. Even if they didnt hack the file it could just be re-recorded, if they can play it they can record it.

If you want to protect your work then copyright it. http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

• Members

Originally posted by fossil

Could it be done? sure. But it would be a complete waste of time. All it would take would be another software program to hack the mp3 file. Even if they didnt hack the file it could just be re-recorded, if they can play it they can record it.

If you want to protect your work then copyright it.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I just want to make it more difficult. We could always stream it so someone would have to use a stream ripper. What I'm doing is converting audio interviews from MD to a format we can publish on our website. I just don't want people to steal the interviews and put them on their sites as their own. Looks like we'll probably end up streaming in Media Player and RealPlayer. The great thing about MP3 is the abiility to play on just about anything. Alot of people hate Media Player and RealPlayer, not to mention Media Player is Windows only. Oh well...

Archived