Budget Overheads for Choir

• Members

Ahat are some recommentations for a pair of overheads for choir use in a church? Looking to stay under $200 for the pair. I seem to read good things about the Samson C02's, and the MXL 603's. Any other contenders? One of my main concerns in a cheaper overhead is feedback.

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by Unalaska

Yeah, I'll second the CO2's. Not sure why feedback would be an issue over dynamic mis (drum overheads thru wedges??).

The OP wanted choir mics and I'm guessing he wanted to fold some back in the wedges.

• Members

Generally, cheaper mics have worse feedback rejection.

Cost has little to do with rejection, pattern and response everything.

If there are speakers in close proximity, then the max level before feedback is going to be pretty low no matter what mic you use. Disable speakers over the choir.

• Members

Hm, I just remembered something - the church's mixes does not have phantom power, so unless they can swing a sub-mixer or some other phantom power source, we may need to look at something that can power with batteries.

Anyone ever use the older Shure Bg 4.1? I've seen them used for dirt cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by Midiguy

Hm, I just remembered something - the church's mixes does not have phantom power, so unless they can swing a sub-mixer or some other phantom power source, we may need to look at something that can power with batteries.

Anyone ever use the older Shure Bg 4.1? I've seen them used for dirt cheap.

You could put a phantom power source in-line.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLPB223

or a cheap mixer as you mentioned. I find batteries to be a pain.

Archived