Subs and crossover

• Members

Hi all , just needing some advice on running my subs. I have a pair of JBL 18" powered subs and a pair of Quest active 12" top boxes. My ? is should i run from my desk (I have a Allen&Heath Mix Wiz 3) to the crossover then out to the subs then from the subs there is a HPF that is set internaly at 100Hz up to the top boxes, or should i use the crossover to set the frequency point to the top boxes?...

Many thanx in advance....:thu:

• Members

I run the Mixwiz with Aux fed subs (aux 6 to the mono fader) with the Low pass filter on the subs set around 100Hz. Then use the main L & R outs of the Mixwiz to a crossover, set the crossover about 100Hz, and use it's high out to the tops.

Boomerweps

Why not use the crossover for both?

• Members

I run the Mixwiz with Aux fed subs (aux 6 to the mono fader) with the Low pass filter on the subs set around 100Hz. Then use the main L & R outs of the Mixwiz to a crossover, set the crossover about 100Hz, and use it's high out to the tops.

Boomerweps

How do you find the Aux fed sub thing?...Thats what i was going to do but it just seemed to be more patching in at gig. Is it really worth doing??.

Thanx.

• Members

How do you find the Aux fed sub thing?...Thats what i was going to do but it just seemed to be more patching in at gig. Is it really worth doing??.

Thanx.

I'll tell ya, a quick reply with a couple letters off and it makes a difference ;>( I meant to put "I'd" for the first word to indicate what I'd do vice what I do.

That said, we just got a A&H GL2400-24, the mixwiz 3's big brother, and intend to do a full test using AUX Fed Subs, which have NOT yet been done. It's not really a big change in patching depending on on your crossover(s). With th OP's powered tops & subs, it's pretty simple. For us, we'll switch from stereo tops/mono subs to mono tops & subs to run the subs off an Aux because we are using a dbx DRPA for crossover filtering. Considering our usual small stage areas and the number of open mics & inputs, I expect it to clean up our sound quite a bit. Like I said, haven't done it yet, but many who's opinions I've come to repect say it makes a clear difference WHEN you have a large number of inputs and a lot of initial LF stage wash.

Boomerweps

Archived