Need to take apart a 1/4" cable, I think... advice on wiring?

• Members

Gonna be a stupid question but I just got a Buttkicker, and it takes bare wire for the connection... which seems kinda dumb... not even banana plugs or anything. Either way, my poweramp has 1/4" and banana outs (Yamaha CP2000). All I have are 1/4" speaker cables. Should I just pop the end off one of them and hook it up? It's running up to 1000W (2 ohms), and I know 1/4" isn't great for that, but it's all I've got to test the thing out to see if the damn thing even works.

• Members

Gonna be a stupid question but I just got a Buttkicker, and it takes bare wire for the connection... which seems kinda dumb... not even banana plugs or anything.

That's because it was not developed origionally for your application AIUI (As I Understand It). I talked to the Buttkicker folks when it was debuted... and suggested refinements for "our" market. I dunno if the implemented drummer specific butt kickers or not?

FWIW: I also suggested marketing the Buttkicker device to farmers for dealing with pocket gophers... I dunno what they did with that idea... but I suspect that's a bigger market than "ours".

• Members

Mark, they actually do market this one for musicians/drummers. It's called the Buttkicker Concert, and they sell a mounting bracket to clamp onto the bottom of your drum throne.

I just posted a review in the drum forum about it; about to start a different thread over here at Live Sound. Definitely not impressed so far.

• Members

Yeah they are a bit strange. My drummer has one and loves it however he wanted to start rack mounting his outboard gear. This amp is not rack mountable. At least his isn't. We had to get a rack kit and do some "converting"....... It's in there now.

Archived