DRUM MACHINE/LIVE DRUMS??

• Members

for a few years I have been a DJ, and played in various bands. I find an easier solution to fill the gaps in my season is booking myself as a solo act.. Im not to fond of using drum machines. A lot of the material I have I would like to use Personal drum tracks recorded specifically for this application now. However; I m not sure how or if I should compress the drums at all.

I know I shouldnt compress them as I would for normal studio application.

Im most concerned with the snare drum and its compression, and how much compressing it will effect its sound during a live performance.

this is a live drumset recorded naturally for each song I perform. I didnt Specifally record each drum for my own triggers. therefor Im not sure how the drumset will sound through the system during a gig. I want to bounce the drumset down to two tracks, or possibly keep them as 4 seperate tracks on a mobile sequencer to mix them at the gig.any suggestions, advice. Before I try this professionally atleast once.... I thought I would ask has anyone played with a backing drum tracks like this?

• Members

I can't help you with the backing track drum question, but I'm going to throw something else in the mix here. Did you ever consider working with a live drummer at the gigs? Back in the disco heyday I was at a club in Colorado Springs and they had a drummer wearing cans mixed in and playing along with the music - and it sounded great. So great in fact that when I came back to Wisconsin a friend of mine and I put together a traveling system and did the same thing - I would put on cans and play along with the tunes he spun for the evenings entertainment. It was actually quite unique and we got a lot of very positive comments and many jobs because of it. I have at times thought about putting something like that together again. Depending on what type of music you are playing, it does take a drummer who can groove with a lot of different styles - but it makes for an "almost live band" sound and is definitely different. Like I said, I know this doesn't answer your original question but it is another way to look at it.

Archived