Another struggling man trying to sing..

• Members

Well. I read what Mi-Key said. And we are basically in the same position.

We started our band for more than half a year, mostly playing covers. It took us some time to find the right songs to play, but finally we find no one to sing...

So I, the most careless one, popped out.. Well.. I've been playing guitar for 6 years and I have a good sense of music, but I never had any special lessons for singing. So at first we had some very tough days... If you give me a "Do" at the first as backing, and expect me to sing a "Re" correctly.. that's impossible.. But later we became better. And pitch is no longer a problem. But there is still something that makes me really frustrated, and I've been wondering how many people actually have the same problem while singing.

The problem is, fatigue occurs very soon. I can control my voice from A to A? with a range of almost two octaves, but only for half an hour maybe.. after that, my throat is congested, and singing any note higher than E becomes impossible.. Am I singing in the wrong way? Or my throat wasn't design for singing...

well. Cheer up. we still can play guitar at least.. hehe.

• Members

Practice, read, practice, take a lesson or two, practice...oh and then practice!:)

The vocal chord is a muscle that needs to be conditioned. Educate yourself to learn as much as you can about how to sing properly and then sing...a lot.

You'll find that its a lot of work and dedication to be a singer. Our band took a week long gig in Key West last summer at Sloppy Joes...very cool. The other guys wanted to stay out afterwards and party..whoop it up and enjoy all the free drinks that were coming out way. In order for me to sing lead 7 nights in a row, I had to stay hydrated (not drunk), well rested, not too much sodium intake and I exercised and did a vocal warmup before each gig...boring but effective!

Archived