Oh my, a Behringer DI saved the day!

• Members

Did a small SOS gig at the local state funny farm last Thursday. 1.5hr gig, 30 minutes in started getting all kinds of scratching noise throught the mains & monitors. Thought, oh crap, is my small gig mixer messed up (Peavey RQ2314)? I could see the signal lights on the power amps and the monitor EQ flashing with the noise.

All we had running through the mixer was 3 vocals & the keys. Keyboard amp left home so it was DIed in.

Turned out it was the DI used for the keys. Not sure of the brand, active, maybe older Proco. I had thrown in a DI-100 for the acoustic guitar (that was also left home). Swapped it in and all was good. No noise from the DI-100 since it was on the floor away from other electronics.

Oh, and IF you EVER plug your FOH rack in with a DRPA in it into the amp rack due to a shortage of power outlets, the old habit of turning of the amp rack first MUST be modified. Turn off the individual amps first, otherwise it's the same as turning off the DRPA first. Loud scary POP!!!!

Boomerweps

• Members

That's the only "B" thing I travel with. We use an EWI rack mount DI that's permanently mounted to the e-drums. When we travel long distances, however, we use a very compact e-kit so need outboard DI's.

The funny part is, after buying 2 of the "B" ones, I catch myself asking the sound guy to bring a couple DI's in case the "B"'s die. Not much of a bargin if you have to double up everying you buy. Also, 3 minutes after taking one out of the packaging I'd had completly destroyed the battery compartment. They use a screw to hold it into place. It's the softest screw I've ever seen and stripped out immediately. I got ticked off and just pried the whole door off.

Archived