No announcement yet.

Need schooling on portable monitor speaker & active vs. passive

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need schooling on portable monitor speaker & active vs. passive

Right now I have a Behringer B212A (specs on pg. 8) and I'm completely happy with its sound and loudness for band practice. I'd like to use it as a speaker to bring in case the house doesn't have a vocal monitor, but I've heard a lot of bad things about Beh's dependability. Also I'd like to add another speaker to our PA for practice, since the Beh is our only one. I've got 2 q's: (1) Should I spring for a more "dependable" speaker as my monitor, and if so, what speaker do you recommend, and (2) should it be active or passive? I have no clue what the results are when you combine an active and passive speaker.

For passive speakers you will need a power source, something like a QSC power amp or a Yamaha powered mixer (examples). Your current 212 wont power a passive speaker. For what your describing a powered speaker should fit the bill nicely. If the venue dosnt have a decent monitor or one that works you can quickly patch in your powered speaker. Or you can split the signal and send a signal to your powered speaker. You may need to carry a splitter or a wye and a few extra XLR cables.
    If the venue is using powered speakers you may be able to daisy chain off another monitor or a main. (just a few ideas in a pinch)
    My church has a few of those 212's, so far no troubles but I would perfer a different speaker. A different speaker choice will depend on your budget. Powered boxes start at your 212 and go over 5 grand a box.

The 212 is a good practice monitor, but I would start at the QSC HPR122 for $800.

Comment

Thanks a lot... My budget is $600 max, $400-500 ideal. Would that be sufficient for a durable, dependably-built speaker? If so do you have any suggestions?

Comment

For $600 I think I would look into the Yorkville line to start. Something like a NX25 or NX35. They seem to get good reviews esp for the price.

Comment

Will do. Now do any specs have to match, like resistance or wattage? Or can I basically add any active speaker in combination with the Beh?

Comment

My guess is you should be fine. I dont know what the imput Impedance is on any of these speakers but I dont think that you would have any troubles with just 2-4 boxes.

Comment

Thanks a lot... My budget is $600 max, $400-500 ideal. Would that be sufficient for a durable, dependably-built speaker? If so do you have any suggestions?

I use a Yamaha MSR100 powered speaker as a monitor, and it works very well. It normally sells for $369, but I was able to get mine on sale for $249. It's small, lightweight, and high fidelity. If 100 watts isn't loud enough, Yamaha makes other MSR speakers with higher power.
              Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar
              Digitech RP255 Modelling Pedal
              Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
              Hamer SB4 Bass Guitar
              Ampeg B100R Bass Amp

Comment

thx, i'll add that to the docket

Comment

Working...
                X