question about headphones

• Members

hey guys, i sing in my band and i bought the cheapest PA i could find for practice and its not working out to well, as i can barely hear myself at practice. ive looked at bigger PA's and stuff, but my mixer http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/-POWERPOD-410-Powered-Mixer?sku=630356 has a line input, if youll look, and got the idea that maybe i could buy some headphones and plug it in there and then i could hear myself through them, and make it possible to hear myself for practice.

but is this possible? i do know that headphones exist with that size of input jack, because my mom had a pair for when she practiced on her keyboard and didnt want others to hear.

please let me know if i can do this or not, as id much rather spend $50 on headphones than $400 on a new PA

• Members

Well you bought the cheapest pa possible and that's the problem. The head is waay underpowered and the speakers have very low sensitivity (doesn't get as loud with the same wattage as a mid level speaker).

If I had to pick 1 thing to upgrade (um), that would be the speakers. The ones that come in the 200 PA packages tend to have 92db sensitivity, a low end JBL/EV/Yamaha is about 97-99, in real terms it does a hell of a lot more SPL for the same input wattage.

I'd recommend getting a pair of decent used PA speakers (yamaha club series would be minimum, not BR) and starting there. Then get a larger powered mixer (EMX640 or something in the 300w per channel range). This can prolly wait but the speakers can't.

• Members

my mixer
has a line input, if youll look, and got the idea that maybe i could buy some headphones and plug it in there and then i could hear myself through them, and make it possible to hear myself for practice.

Line inputs don't work as headphone outs.

$400 for a new PA? Hah. You need a lot more power than you think to be able to hear yourself over a band.

• Members

You aren't going to listen, but Unalaska is right on with his post. Even a single used powered speaker would probably be better off.

Don't buy cheap {censored}, save up for stuff that is actually half way decent.

dk

no im listening. ive been looking around for a PA package that will hopefully suite my needs, i was just curious to see if i could get headphones for practice, as i surely dont intend to gig with my current setup

• Members

no im listening. ive been looking around for a PA package that will hopefully suite my needs, i was just curious to see if i could get headphones for practice, as i surely dont intend to gig with my current setup

Ok so sell the PA you have its junk. Save up some cash and buy a decent used Powered speaker. They usually have a few simple inputs built in, so you can use just one for the practice space.

Save up some more, for a couple more powered speakers, and a proper mixer. Stands and cables, etc.

Good luck

dk

Archived