Earbuds for IEM

• Members

I have seen a bunch of people selling this same set of ear buds. Mot of the other places are at least $100 less. I have the info around somewhere. I'll find it and put it in this thread if others don't respond.

I use custom molds for my E5s and love them. I just ordered another set and I am not as happy with the molds. They still work great but they are smaller.

• Members

interesting. i have heard of the other's as well, but i didn't know they used to be the same company. Thanks. If the Fidelity Customs are cheaper is it better to go that route? Are both companys the same quality? (by "both companies" I mean, E.A.R. Inc and Fidelity Customs...or LiveWire). Are there three companies that sell them? I think I just confused myself. The lady who works for E.A.R. Inc in my region is going to be in town this weekend at a hunting convention and she said she could do the impression for me this weekend while she is there.

• Members

I am not sure. I have the original LiveWires, they are plenty good enough for me (dual drivers). My brother got the Fidelity, I wasn't aware that both companies still existed so he went to that site and got the triple driver version. Since I can't A/B test them, I have no way of knowing. They look the same to me, in the way they are built, the components, etc... doesn't look like they changed anything from either company. He did get a nice Pelican case with his, I got one of those cheap snap-top things like people take on boating trips to keep small valuables floating. But again, I've had mine for well over a year, at least.

E.A.R. Inc. (Boulder, CO) appears to be a different company than Fidelity (Tennessee) which seems different than EarPeace Tech. (California); EarPeace was the original LiveWires, I believe.

• Members

I am not sure. I have the original LiveWires, they are plenty good enough for me (dual drivers). My brother got the Fidelity, I wasn't aware that both companies still existed so he went to that site and got the triple driver version. Since I can't A/B test them, I have no way of knowing. They look the same to me, in the way they are built, the components, etc... doesn't look like they changed anything from either company. He did get a nice Pelican case with his, I got one of those cheap snap-top things like people take on boating trips to keep small valuables floating. But again, I've had mine for well over a year, at least.

E.A.R. Inc. (Boulder, CO) appears to be a different company than Fidelity (Tennessee) which seems different than EarPeace Tech. (California); EarPeace was the original LiveWires, I believe.

Cool. Thanks. Do you feel the need to use an ambient audience mic? or can you hear everything "fine" with the earbuds in?

• Members

Cool. Thanks. Do you feel the need to use an ambient audience mic? or can you hear everything "fine" with the earbuds in?

Sorry to step in here but you will want some type of ambient kit, at least at first. For the in ears to work efficiently and supply bass response, they need to have a tight fit in the ear canal. The customs will be fit for you ears and you will get very little usable stage volume from a properly made and inserted set of ear buds. I use the Shure kit but the guitarist and drummer have both stopped using theirs. They are not as concerned with hearing stage sound or audience reactions and are very comfortable being isolated. The audience doesn't know the difference. I use the ambient kit because it actually helps me have conversations during breaks as I never remove my earbuds during a show. I have severe tinnitus in my right ear and the in ears with ambient kit actually help me hear better in those situations with a lot of background noise, so I just keep them in.

• Members

I personally don't use an ambient kit, if someone talks loudly I can make out what they say... but then I have a Sennheiser headset mic so I'm probably picking up some there. If I really want to hear something that someone is saying, I just hold up a finger ('wait a minute') and pop out the right one, leaving it hang over my ear. Then replace it at the next opportunity.

But I don't have many conversations one-on-one during a set. And I pop them out during breaks.

• Members

Cool. Thanks for your separate opinons. I will probably try it without the ambient mic and see how I like it and then go for one if I need it. Here's hoping I won't but I hate feeling "too" isolated so I may need it. I guess it's personal preference.

• Members

You can also use and extra mic on stage to do the ambient thing. Just put a mic into the Mixwiz but do not put it to FOH. Adjust the ambient sound via the aux send for each in ear. That way you have a choice if and when you want to hear the stage & crowd.

One problem I had with the Shure ambient kit was I left it on while performing and my wireless mic's battery died. I did not realize this because I heard my self fine through the lav mic on my vest. It was pretty funny because I couldn't understand why people were signaling to me. I sounded great.....

• Members

You can also use and extra mic on stage to do the ambient thing. Just put a mic into the Mixwiz but do not put it to FOH. Adjust the ambient sound via the aux send for each in ear. That way you have a choice if and when you want to hear the stage & crowd.

One problem I had with the Shure ambient kit was I left it on while performing and my wireless mic's battery died. I did not realize this because I heard my self fine through the lav mic on my vest. It was pretty funny because I couldn't understand why people were signaling to me. I sounded great.....

+1

We did this when we first transitioned over to IEM from floor monitors. It helped get past the psychological part of feeling so isolated. It takes time but you will get over the feeling.

Archived