VoiceWorks Plus

• Members

Yes I've used one. I've used harmonizers for over 10 years and 550 shows. Digitech Vocalist Performer, then moved to TC-Helicon and the VoicePrism, followed by several years with the Voiceworks and then a Voiceworks Plus. I now use a Voice Live 2.

For live applications the VoiceLive 2 has more functionality - tap tempo, guitar input and effects, harmonies can track off of an auxilary input like guitar or band mix, easier all around access to effects. The VoiceWorks has some benefits too though. Most notably, the functionality of an external switch/pedal is MUCH better versus the VoiceLive. This is important because you're using it live after all and the VoiceLive falls short in it's most critical function.

The VoiceLive has it's harmony toggle footswitch in the middle of the unit and you have to look down almost every time you activate the harmonies. IMO, it's a real gaff on their part to situate the most used switch in such an awkward location. It's very easy to hit some other switch while trying to work the harmonies. You can use an external pedal, but there is a bug that TC-Helicon is aware of and flat out states they aren't fixing, that causes the harmonies to activate by default every time you chance a patch. You must step on the pedal to turn off the harmonies. If you forget, when you start singing after changing patches, you are embarrassed by unintended harmonies (not a lot of songs start out with harmonies). Still, I use an external pedal as the benefit outweighs the occasional gaff of forgetting to reset the harmonies with each patch change.

When using an external pedal in the VoiceWorks this isn't an issue. It works as it should. I recommend using something like a Tech-21 Midi-mouse as a patch changer though since the unit is rack mounted.

I can't recall off the top of my head the differences between the VoiceWorks and VoiceWorks Plus. All I remember is that I thought there was enough of a benefit that that bought the VoiceWorks Plus. Looking back there wasn't enough enhanced functionality to justify the Plus. So if you're still shopping you can probably pick up a standard VoiceWorks for a lot less. If you don't really need the additoinal features (which again, I can't even remember right now) you may just want to stick with the standard unit. Also, don't overlook the VoiceLive2 (but avoid the original VoiceLive). It depends on how you are going to implement a harmonizer in your performance as to which makes more sense.

• Members

I use a VoiceWorks with a Harmony G pedal which listens to the guitar and sends cord changes to the voiceworks. I also use a 3 button switch to activate harmony and move patches up/down.

This unit has outstanding vocal capabilities outside of the harmony. The voice correction is outstanding. The reverb is fantastic. I use the compressor sparingly.

the harmony is very smooth and quite good.... and overly programmable ;)

My only quip is that all this wiring is very difficult to keep. I have mine wired into a case so that I only have to plug my guitar in and my mic in. I always keep the output to my guitar amp and output to the mixer marked and rolled up in the case.... still, it is quite a mess.

I also have the TC Helicon Harmony G-XT. This is still a very good sounding pedal, but MUCH less flexible. Still, I am considering giving it a go since it would make the setup much simpler.

• Members

I have owned a VoiceLive2, Harmony-G XT, and now use the new VoiceLive Play. For me, it was like the VoiceLive2 was too much, the Harmony-G XT too little, and the Play is juuust right. Honestly it's like a VoiceLive2 Jr. It has most of the same functions, but with slightly less deep editing options, and only has the three switches, patch up, patch down, and "hit". The hit is similar to the stages of the VL2, where the VL2 can have 4 stages per patch and the Play can have 2, with the 2nd being activated by the "hit" switch. I love how it's set up, I use the main setting of each patch for my regular effects, then add the harmonies or other effects to the "hit".

Haven't used the VoiceWorks line of products, just because I like being able to glance down and see the name of the setting I'm using.

• Members

I have owned a VoiceLive2, Harmony-G XT, and now use the new VoiceLive Play. For me, it was like the VoiceLive2 was too much, the Harmony-G XT too little, and the Play is juuust right. Honestly it's like a VoiceLive2 Jr. It has most of the same functions, but with slightly less deep editing options, and only has the three switches, patch up, patch down, and "hit". The hit is similar to the stages of the VL2, where the VL2 can have 4 stages per patch and the Play can have 2, with the 2nd being activated by the "hit" switch. I love how it's set up, I use the main setting of each patch for my regular effects, then add the harmonies or other effects to the "hit".

Haven't used the VoiceWorks line of products, just because I like being able to glance down and see the name of the setting I'm using.

Thanks for the great review! I agree, my one big issue is that I can't see what patch I am on. I only use 2 so it isn't THAT big of a deal ..... unless I get onto the wrong one ;)

• Members

Dammit! 24 hours ago I read your post. Now I'm sitting here playing with my new VoiceLive Play. In just 30 minutes of fooling around with it I can tell this will be my new main harmonizer. I tend to agree the VL2 has so many bells and whistles that it suffers from some bloat. I also much prefer presets with the context of the artist or iconic song name versus nonsense names and over the top impractical patches that you'll never use, which there are still plenty of, but with room for 500 patches you can move all the junk to the basement where they are out of the way.

Oh well, my birthday is Thursday so Happy Birthday to me!!!

Archived