Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Latecy Problem With Digital Mixer And Analog Headphone Amp?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latecy Problem With Digital Mixer And Analog Headphone Amp?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if this was a real issue or something that is exaggerated. My wired IEM systems have analog heaphone amps at each musician/singer's mic stand and the amp allows microphone and instruments "pass through" on the way to the mixer in order to give the individual performers "more me" control with associated knobs. So the sum total of signal going to the IEM from the headphone amp (Rolls PM351) is the aux send from the mixer, the singer's mic, and their instrument.

So I have heard that latency from the digital mixer will cause a problem with the sum of the signals being out of phase, or more specifically, the aux send coming in would supposedly be out of phase with the pass through signals.

Is this true? If so, would the latency cause a phase shift problem, creating a strange effect into the IEM's?

I asked this over at Presonus and they told me that their mixer would only have no audible effect. Here is what he said:

"The input to output latency on the StudioLive is about 1.8ms. You're not going to notice any latency from any post converter output on the mixer."

So what's the deal here?

Thanks!

If you are combining the analog signal with the same signal passing through the studiolive then you will absolutely hear odd cancellation effects due to the delayed signal from the mixer mixing with the immediate signal of the headphone amp. There isn't really a good way to avoid this other than to make sure that you aren't mixing the two signals together (don't use the 'more me' knob).

Greg

Comment

• abzurd
      abzurd commented
      Editing a comment
      IMO, don't worry about. From a practical standpoint it's a non-issue. We use IEMs all the time with the SL.

Run everything through the auxes. Forget the little doodad.
    NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

• Gregidon
      Gregidon commented
      Editing a comment

Alternatively, though convoluted, you could send a separate aux out (with just the vocal) to each personal mixer to introduce the same delay into the "just me" signal. Main issue here is the significant increase in complexity.

Sell the wired IEM's, have the musicians actually spend some money and each of them buy their own wireless IEM unit. Plug them into the aux's and have them run QMix to control their own IEM mix.

The band this weekend was blown away when I gave them control of their IEM mix. Took about 3 minutes to demonstrate and school them on how the app worked.

They were all smiling and shaking their heads at how easy it was.

Of course, I can imagine the belly-aching I'd have to put up with if I suggested it to my band.

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

Working...
    X