Newer Ultimate Live-SB/T stands... worth the extra $$$?

• Members

I have a chance to pick up three Ultimate Live-SB stands (one with an Ulti-Boom-TB) in used/like new condition all for $100... worth it?!? I can also get a pair of the older mic stands with the one-hand grip and tripod bases used for $40 for the pair. They all seem really solid. (Although the older models exhibit an internal vibration upon handling... worried that might work its way into the signal chain somehow.) Should I pick up some new (to me) stands?

Same shop has an E609 and two E835 Sennheiser mics... all like new w/ clips and bags... for $200 for all three. ($80=$60+$60, respectively) I've been shopping for an E609 and I really like the single E835 I have already and it's always nice to have spares in my mic locker. Thoughts on whether or not I should grab the mics?

• Members

I bought 2 e835 for my gear (I still use the XM8500) but this are for some picky customers that I have in some times, I'm looking to get a third one just in case, they sound very nice, but the XM8500 still sound nice to me and is accepted it over my majority of customers

• Members

Update: So, I pulled the trigger... before anyone else could buy this stuff. I'm really happy that I now have some decent mic stands in my stable. I have an assortment of On-Stage mini-booms and a couple of other decent booms that I've had for years and the latter never return home as nice as they went out... so it'll be fun to see how these new Ultimate Live-SBs hold up. If they work well then I'll probably pick up another 3 when I can find them used to make a full nested group of six when they're stacked together. Not as easy as the tripod base models to just fold down, throw in a stand bag, and move around from gig to gig... with a few of one kind and a few of another... but it would seem like 6 of the Live-SBs stacked and velcro-wrapped together would be as easy as anything else to transport/load-in/strike... easier to have more of them is what I'm saying, if that makes any sense.

As far as the mics go, I'm glad to finally have an E609 to use and if I like it I might pick up another one to have on hand. I really didn't need the two E835s, but all of these Senns were like new and the E835s were 1/2 of new cost and it's always nice to have more options. Downside? I'm going to need a bigger "mic locker" soon.

• Members

Hey, that avatar was the logo that our electrical company over here use to used, the figure had a nickname called "Foquito", translated would be something like "little bulby" or some sort, they don't use it any more, wonder what happened? Copyright?

• Members

I have the Ultimate Pro-ST with the telescopic boom and LOVE IT.

This stand is very heavy, so I would not want to make it the main stand of a sound company, but as a keyboard player who puts a lot of leverage on a mic stand (boom extended all the way with mic and 6" goose neck at the end), I find it indispensable. No more teetering stand.

Archived