No announcement yet.

The Composition Thread

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come on people! Contribute!!

I go away for a few days, and this thread gets buried and forgotton!

Really!

Forever,

Kim.
    The Composition Thread is sticky!
    There is no heavier burden than a great potential.- Unknown source

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdienumnum
      bump (while I'm trying to figure out how to display notation here or even if I should)

May be it
      http://jd800center.blogspot.com
      http://gilbertostrapazon.blogspot.com

Comment

• OOOps... sorry I didn
        http://jd800center.blogspot.com
        http://gilbertostrapazon.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gilbertopb

Vivace qtr = 138 _____________________
          * = Gently tap guitar face |1. |
          | |

3 G/D F#/C# 2 G/D |4 F#7/C# 3|
          - ___ - |-_______ __ -|
          4 | | 4 |4| | | | `/ | | 4|
          ||--3-3-3-3-2---|-----|-3-3-3-3-|-0-0---0----0--0--||
          ||--3-3-3-3-2---|-o^/-|-3-3-3-3-|-2-2---2----2--2--||
          ||@-4-4-4-4-3-*-|--/--|-4-4-4-4-|-3-3-X-3----3--3-@||
          ||@-5-5-5-5-4---|-/^o-|-5-5-5-5-|-4-4---4----4--4-@||
          ||--5-5-5-5-4---|-----|-5-5-5-5-|-4-4---4----4--4--||

|_| |_| |_| |_|

They both look crap.

Try:
           monospace. 

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

• Originally posted by SammyJames
            Hi Jeez:

Humans are incapable of creating anything new, because we just recycle what already exists.

Well, I thought the same thing for a while - that it's impossible to create anything new because:

I don't know.

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

• Originally posted by SammyJames
              But if you want to make significant money doing music, then you do need to have some idea of what people really want to hear from you.

Yes of course, but I have no intention of making significant money from my music.

I'm studying Software Engineering, and I'm planning to get into software project management.

Originally posted by SammyJames
              Art is natural, because we are OF nature, so everything that we do must also be of nature, and is therefore natural.

That's an interesting concept that I agree with.

What's equally interesting is that a surprising number of people do not agree with this (we are of nature, so everything we do is natural). In fact, one of the fundamental assumptions of many religions is that humankind is above nature.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a discussion of the philosophy of art and humanity! We're here to discuss Composition techniques!

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

• I really enjoyed the Artist Tangent episode of this thread.

My .02..

People are attracted to GENUINE CONFIDENCE.
                thus
                People are repelled by FALSE CONFIDENCE.

It takes confidence to think your stack of Campbells soup cans is any different. An artist doesn't think his pile is different, he KNOWS it.

An artist is a person who know themselves completely and translate their vision/self into their medium.

Accepting and making good on the incredible gift of a UNIQUE life is terrifying responsibility that I feel would lead any human in the direction of creating. Anything that has been created can be art.
                A technology distinguishable from magic is not sufficiently advanced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sinner6
                  It takes confidence to think your stack of Campbells soup cans is any different.

If no-one has heard of the stack of Campbell's Soup cans, spend ten minutes reading about Andy Warhol. Here, I'll even give you a head start.

Originally posted by Sinner6
                  Accepting and making good on the incredible gift of a UNIQUE life is terrifying responsibility

Interesting view. Not sure I'd use the word "terrifying" though, personally.

Birdienumnum, where are you? It's been more than a week!!

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

• Hi Jeez, ( 2 sentences so as to not clog up your thread)

I picked up on the Warhol reference, it is a good example of artisitc confidence.

I say 'terrifying' because in my daily life I see lots and lots of pepole trying to find any way possible (TV, shopping, drugs..) to avoid accepting the responsibilty of taking control fo their lives, by trying one must accept that failure is a possible outcome of ones endeavors.

Comment

• Yep, I'm back.

This time I'm going to try for a little more audience participation.

Let's think a little more about the structure of a piece. Generally speaking, a piece has three overall sections - beginning, middle, and end.(In some circles, this is called beginning, development, end). We'll look at each section at a time, starting with the beginning.

And I'll hand it to you: What purpose does the beginning of a piece have?.

I'll wait for a few answers before I tell you what I think.

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeez

And I'll hand it to you: What purpose does the beginning of a piece have?.

Just a guess but:

Get attention, state what type of tune it is going to be, give some insight to what may happen in this tune, leave room for the middle of the song to give more drama/emotion/whatever, build into the piece gracefully. Unless it's a punk song.
                        And which do you choose, a hard or soft option?

Hypertone

Comment

• I picture the beginning of a song like a person entering a pool.

The person is your audience, the pool is your song.

The beginning of your song is where you set the water temperature and turbulence levels, and also the speed at which the person is thrust into your (hot, cold, calm, wavy) pool.

Comment

• All right, guys. I don't know what I've been doing all this time avoiding the Composition Thread, but now that I've spent the better part of an hour reading and rereading this thread, I have to say: "Kim is the coolest person on this board." Thanks, senor.

Anyhoo, concept isn't my strongpoint, so I will save you all from my incoherent ramblings and perhaps offer up my secret trick for composition. It works if you've just looped your first drum part of the song, or if the piece is all but finished, and the last melody part isn't quite coming together--

Turn your song up just loud enough to be barely audible from all parts of your residence. Walk across to the far end of the house. Listen. Hear anything different? No? Keep walking around. Trudge out into the street, stand in the bathtub, sit behind the water heater. Hear anything now?

If you're patient, melodies and/or harmonies will magically appear before you. The existing music, resonating through the walls of your home, will produce harmonics that aren't readily apparent in your control room. You may hear the vocal melody that escaped you the night before. You may hear a sound effect that hasn't been added yet. The water heater may vibrate in just the right way to compose new parts for you.

"Audacity Works, you're crazy." Nope. I first started making my house write music for me years ago during a nasty deadline where writer's block had set in. Frustrated, I began pacing the house, and in an area of the living room, a picture frame started vibrating a half beat after the kick drum at a seventh above the root note. It sounded brilliant, and ended up the hook of the song. I recreated the vibrating picture frame with a Virus patch. Done.

Another weird trick? If you have iTunes, or some other huge stockpile of music, randomly pick both a song and a spot within that song. This is crucial: Don't look at which song you've picked. Play anywhere from a second to two seconds of the piece, just enough to hear what's going on, but not enough to continue the song in your head. If the snippet started mid-measure, you may have heard a completely different chord progression or rhythm part. It takes about thirty or forty songs to acquire an "inspiration snippet", but believe me, it's worth it.

What the hell's my point? What you're doing here is tricking your brain into filling in musical gaps that your ears can't quite hear, because the volume's too low or there's not enough information in the timeline.

I don't know how on-topic this was, but it relates to composition somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by audacity works
                              All right, guys. "Audacity Works, you're crazy." I first started making my house write music for me years ago .

Ah yes, Tapping the musical subconsious, How to unleash your inspiration, or any number of other book titles hoping to cash in on New Age spirituality....

Perhaps I'll discuss this issue a bit later - after this discussion of structure.

Forever,

Kim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeez
                                What purpose does the beginning of a piece have?

Well, if you're a genius like Brahms or Beethoven then the beginning of the piece can establish everything else that's going to happen in the piece.

Just take the famous "Fate knocking on the door" or "Victory" motif from the first movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. You all know this one, it goes "Bam-bam-bam-BAAAAAAM". And then it does it again, for good measure, just to make sure you got the idea.

The entire rest of the first movement, from beginning to end, is based on these four notes. It's amazing what you can do to four little notes (like divide them up even further, or string them along) to make five minutes of music sound fresh and exciting. They even come back in later movements.

But of course, this is just one of many valid answers to the question.

Kiru
                                "Don't sell your life! Do whatever you really want to do. You must act as the master of your life, and then become free. No matter how difficult it is, no matter how unsuccessful it might seem, do whatever you want!"
                                -- Michio Kushi

The only way to settle questions of an ideological nature or controversial issues among the people is by the democratic method, the method of discussion, of criticism, of persuasion and education, and not by the method of coercion or repression.
                                -- Mao Zedong

Comment

Working...
                                X