Softsynth acoustic piano.. any good ones out there?

DerekW

• Members

Are there any softsynths that have really good acoustic piano samples in them? The few things that I've tried (and there's only one or two softsynths that I've tried so far) sound like a casio when compared to the new FantomX or a Kurzwiel. I'm trying to figure out if I need to go with a good hardware synth or if there is a softsynth that sounds great and is very playable. Any advice for me?

• Members

If you want to use software for samples, then use a soft sampler and buy a quality sample cd...it will sound better than anything that comes bundled with a soft synth. If you search the net, there are also some pretty good free piano sounds, some between 30-60 megs..not bad for free.

• Members

One more thing to keep in mind...In addition to using quality samples, you need quality components in your system....ie, if your using a sound blaster card and some junk freebie reverb plugin, the best Baldwin sample in the world will sound like crap compared to the Roland or Kurz sounds.

• Members

the short answer: no.

I've tried every free one I could find, and several soundfonts that came highly recommended, but nothing even compares the the triton piano, which is pretty sad really.

That's just freebies, though; I've not tried gigapiano, but everyone raves about it so maybe it's worth checking into.

• Members

I've got a good signal chain so I know that's not the problem. I have a Echo Layla for the sound card and then go directly into my studio monitors. The stuff that I'ved played around with are things like Reason and such. I don't care if it's a freeware softsynth or one that costs a couple hundred bucks if it sounds great. I'ved looked at things like Kontact but haven't actually tried it yet. Are the pianos that are bundled with it really good or would I need to look elsewhere? If elsewhere, what are your recommendations?

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

i like Kontakts piano a lot, but others might not. Also check out "the Grand"

yeah, people seem to be pretty particular about their preferred sample sets for piano. there doesn't seem to be one overwhelming favorite.

giga, kontakt and the grand seem to get the most nods, though.

i use the ones that came with Vsampler and i like them pretty well. they get a mixed reaction from other people though.

• Members

Originally posted by Altered Flesh

One more thing to keep in mind...In addition to using quality samples, you need quality components in your system....ie, if your using a sound blaster card and some junk freebie reverb plugin, the best Baldwin sample in the world will sound like crap compared to the Roland or Kurz sounds.

I totally agree, but --- why Baldwin ?

• Members

Originally posted by Altered Flesh

If you want to use software for samples, then use a soft sampler and buy a quality sample cd...it will sound better than anything that comes bundled with a soft synth. If you search the net, there are also some pretty good free piano sounds, some between 30-60 megs..not bad for free.

WHERE???!!!!! i have tried to find them.....!!!! please do tell !!

• Members

There's a 256mb soundfont called "Splendid Grand Piano" that is very good. Something happened to the copy I had and it won't convert properly anymore, but it used to be on the Akai FTP site, I'm sure it's still floating around somewhere. I liked it much better than Gigapiano, which I used on one track and had to really Eq it and I still don't like the sound on the recording.

Archived