25 key or 49 Key opinions

noizyb

• Members

Hey I'm getting ready to nail down a xiosynth for my new laptop purchase. I've played the 25 and 49 key xio and x-station. I like being able to stretch out on 49, but sure like the convenience of the 25. I know it's a very subjective question, but I'm interested in hearing some experiences and applications that you guys have encountered with these two alternatives (in any controller). Your ideas may stir some additional considerations I haven't thought of. Thanks for your feedback. Before you say, get a 61...I definetly don't want to go bigger than 49. This will be used to accomadate an "on the go"studio setup to facilitate more music making in more places.

• Members

I've got 25- and 49-key M-Audio controllers, as well as a 25-key Korg Micro X.

25 keys is tough on a regular basis, but it largely depends upon your playing style and what you're hoping to do.

With the 25-key M-Audio controller, the bottom and top keys are Cs, so you've got two full octaves when playing in that key. But if you're playing in another key, such as A, you've really only got one octave with two partial octaves on the top and bottom. All of this can lead to using the transpose button quite a bit.

For me, it's tough to recommend 25 keys vs 49, unless you're looking for something really portable to take on airplanes, use in hotel rooms, etc.

• Members

I have an X-Station 49 with it's Novation carry bag. I like it a lot... I got it for working with Reason on my laptop when I go on vacations, as a fun jam controller with my Roland XK8m organ module, and to have as a stand alone synth. I've used it as a second keyboard on stage to a piano too so it's served me in multiple ways. I like having the two-handed capability that 49 notes give you (unless you're keybrdwizrd and then you get used to using two 25-note controllers ie: a 50-note controller :D). It makes a lot of difference to me to have at least some chord and lead capability when I'm off fiddling with just the X-Station. And it's still ultra-portable at 49 notes. Plus I think there's too damn many 25 note controllers in the world anyway... I think I got a couple stashed around here somewhere I don't even use... I recommend a 49.

• Members

Funny story, I stopped by GC today to check out the alleged Leap Year Sale. I was not in the market for anything at all. They had a slightly used Studiologic TMK88 for $79 and I had a 10% coupon, so I snagged it. I don't really need it, but it actually feels pretty good for what it is. It is like carrying a 12 pack it is so darn light. And 88 keys! Very rudimentary controller, but quite useful for a few things I have brewing.

One thing I do not like about many of the current 25, 37 and 49 key controllers is the action is just plain crappy. I think the Novations are supposed to have the creme de la creme actions. That TMK I bought today actually feels pretty good for a semi-weighted board. Very similar to the Nord Stage, but a little lighter.

• Members

I thought that the action on the xiosynth was nice- still definitely synth action, but not super springy, there was still something to it.

I agree, you just have to be careful going back and forth between it and the x-station, which is really sweet feeling.

Archived