Broken key on a brand new Nord Stage?

Wazza

• Members

Hi,

For the past few months I've been considering buying a stage piano, I finally made my choice and purchased a Nord Stage 88 EX.

However, when I unpacked the Nord at home, I came to the shocking discovery that one key was broken (3rd G#), the key was stuck and would not come back up.

I did not expect a keyboard in this price range would have such issues, especially when its brand new.

So, I called the store and they offered to repair the broken key, the Nord is currently at the store awaiting repairs.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? (on a brand new model)

Should I be prepared for more broken keys in the future?

The keybed built in the Nord is made by Fatar as far as I know, I've read somewhere that Fatar keybeds have some reliability issues when it comes to keys breaking.

About repairing broken/stuck keys, as I virtually know nothing of keybeds, can I be sure that the repaired key responds the same as all the other ones?

• Members

Yes. My first Nord Stage arrived from Sweetwater with a broken key just like you describe. They had me return it for a new one.

I have had no troubles since, and have had the keyboard for several years. I believe it was damaged in shipping.

• Members

Yes. My first Nord Stage arrived from Sweetwater with a broken key just like you describe. They had me return it for a new one.

I have had no troubles since, and have had the keyboard for several years. I believe it was damaged in shipping.

Well, the store wanted to repair the broken key instead of replacing the whole keyboard.

But the thing is, If the key is damaged because of transportation, more keys or components might be affected.

I'm afraid that more issues might come up in the future if the keyboard had to endure something harsh enough to break a key.

• Members

I would demand a brand new undamaged instrument. There is no excuse for being asked to accept a damaged one.

I did ask, they said no.

They would have to order one at the distributor since they didn't have one in stock, and they did not want to do that.

Also, when it comes to consumer laws and stuff, they do not have to send a new replacement as far as I've read, they can either choose to repair this model or exchange it for a new one.

• Members

I did ask, they said no.

They would have to order one at the distributor since they didn't have one in stock, and they did not want to do that.

Also, when it comes to consumer laws and stuff, they do not have to send a new replacement as far as I've read, they can either choose to repair this model or exchange it for a new one.

Laws are just laws, and should not allow for people to take a piss all over you. In cases like that I just speak to the manager and inform him in no uncertain terms that unless his people change their ways I will not do business with his establishment ever again, and that I will also inform others about how I was treated, and rather enthusiastically recommend they shop somewhere else instead. That's all I've ever needed to do on the few occasions I've felt mistreated, but don't stop there if they say no. Squeeze them until they come your way. It's not such a big deal for a shop to give a refund or replacement anyway, I mean, we're not talking Bentleys here. Ultimately, it makes more sense for a business owner or manager to make his customer happy than to sit straight up in bed at five o'clock in the morning wondering if there's someone at the store with matches and a can of gasoline. :)

• Members

Laws are just laws, and should not allow for people to take a piss all over you. In cases like that I just speak to the manager and inform him in no uncertain terms that unless his people change their ways I will not do business with his establishment ever again, and that I will also inform others about how I was treated, and rather enthusiastically recommend they shop somewhere else instead. That's all I've ever needed to do on the few occasions I've felt mistreated, but don't stop there if they say no. Squeeze them until they come your way. It's not such a big deal for a shop to give a refund or replacement anyway, I mean, we're not talking Bentleys here. Ultimately, it makes more sense for a business owner or manager to make his customer happy than to sit straight up in bed at five o'clock in the morning wondering if there's someone at the store with matches and a can of gasoline.
:)

Well, Can't do that anymore ;), already arranged it would be repaired, and its currently at the shop.

On the other hand, a broken key isn't such a big deal, the Nord didn't appear damaged, nor did the box it came in.

The Nord worked fine, just the one key that was stuck.

It might be due to transportation, it might just be an slip-up in assembling the keybed.

Replacing the whole thing just because one key is stuck is perhaps a bit overkill, its something that can essentially be fixed within an hour, probably even less.

I mean, I'm studying for a job in the IT sector, If I would have a computer store, and someone would buy a computer, and then demanded to replace the whole computer just because the DVD drive does not work, I wouldn't do it either, since replacing a DVD drive is something very simple and it would be a waste to replace an entire computer because of something this small.

• Members

I did ask, they said no.

I totally agree with the others, there is NO excuse for a retail store to treat a customer like that. In all the years I've bought things from online stores I've never heard of this policy, there is usually a 30 day return policy, heck people return things just because they don't like them and they allow that.

You have every right to a new item.

Is it possible for you to name the store in question so the rest of us can be warned to avoid doing business with them.

• Members

I think I'd push a little harder for a new unit. The damage you describe sounds like something that occurred during transport and if it was mishandled to the point of breaking a key, there could be other underlying issues that come out later in the life of the instrument.

• Members

I did ask, they said no.

Take it back ,, tell them to refund your money or get you a new one. End of story zero compromise.

• Members

I totally agree with the others, there is NO excuse for a retail store to treat a customer like that. In all the years I've bought things from online stores I've never heard of this policy, there is usually a 30 day return policy, heck people return things just because they don't like them and they allow that.

You have every right to a new item.

Is it possible for you to name the store in question so the rest of us can be warned to avoid doing business with them.

Well, I've already brought it back for repairs, and they could have already repaired it, So I can't really ask for a new one now.

I think I'd push a little harder for a new unit. The damage you describe sounds like something that occurred during transport and if it was mishandled to the point of breaking a key, there could be other underlying issues that come out later in the life of the instrument.

Thats what I'm afraid of, that something might come up later, but I'll see when I get it back, if something does break later on, I definitely will demand a new instrument.

• Members

dude I totally appreciate you wanting to get along and not make waves but we are talking about a major chunk of change here.

I'm getting a feeling there is more to this story because I can't understand why you aren't being more forceful about getting a replacement.

Was this a return, blem or open box with a lowered price range?

Good if it is repaired they can resell it as an opened box unit. Most stores would've bent over backwards to offer you a replacement but I sensed they felt you weren't going to make an issue of it.

If you accept it back and an issue arises from hidden damage it will be too late.

Best to demand a replacement now, you will always be worrying whether something else was damaged, any sound or erratic behavior will cause you worry.

If they aren't willing to work with you on this, inform them you will be writing the BBB and Attorney General of the state you purchased it from as well as posting the policies of this store anywhere you can on the internet.

Again, will you please tell us what retailer this is?

• Members

dude I totally appreciate you wanting to get along and not make waves but we are talking about a major chunk of change here.

I'm getting a feeling there is more to this story because I can't understand why you aren't being more forceful about getting a replacement.

Was this a return, blem or open box with a lowered price range?

No, this was a brand new instrument.

Good if it is repaired they can resell it as an opened box unit. Most stores would've bent over backwards to offer you a replacement but I sensed they felt you weren't going to make an issue of it.

If you accept it back and an issue arises from hidden damage it will be too late.

Best to demand a replacement now, you will always be worrying whether something else was damaged, any sound or erratic behavior will cause you worry.

I think its a bit unreasonable to demand a replacement now, and why would it be too late to demand a replacement if something else fails later on?

Considering the instrument had issues when it first arrived I think thats a pretty strong argument.

I'll see how the repairs go, If anything else seems damaged I'm sure they'll notice that when they repair it.

If they aren't willing to work with you on this, inform them you will be writing the BBB and Attorney General of the state you purchased it from as well as posting the policies of this store anywhere you can on the internet.

Well, that wont work for me since I do not live in the USA, I live in The Netherlands.

Again, will you please tell us what retailer this is?

Oostendorp Music, Wezep, The Netherlands.

• Members

Well, picked my Nord up yesterday after it was repaired.

Turned out to be something really simple :facepalm:, the key was out of its socket.

The technician thinks that Clavia probably made a slip-up when they inserted the keys in my Nord, probably didn't push it far enough in, and thus the key got loose.

Nothing was damaged, and there didn't appear to be any sign of weaknesses or damages due to transport.

Honestly, I do not think the Nord was mishandled during transport, the box it came in was clean and in good shape, so its very unlikely something went wrong during transportation.

And besides, most keyboards are being mishandled a lot more by gigging musicians than when they are being transported to the store, and they often survive many years.

Clavia probably just messed up when they assembled this one, stuff happens.

And honestly, demanding a replacement for something this puny would be stupid and an incredible waste.

Actually, the store gave me a free piano stool for all the hassle, which I thought was really nice of them :).

Anyway, I'm going to stop typing and start playing again :D.

Archived